ADVERTISEMENT

Dunbar/Mervo game shut down

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
I have to say this is a first. The football game between 10th ranked Mervo and 6th ranked Dunbar was shut down by the Baltimore City Fire Marshall with 1:58 to go in the third quarter. The game was being played on the campus of Mervo in NE Baltimore. Ironically, less than 5 minutes from my house. The game was shut down due to the crowd size. It was sold out and fans were sneaking in to the game according to the Mervo AD. Dunbar AD is hoping they can finish the game on Saturday or Monday. Mervo AD was not at liberty to discuss whether the game would be finished.

Last edited:
I have never heard of a game being shut down for fire code violation. Is there more to this story or was it just that crowded and people refused to be stopped at the gate when it was full.

I have never heard of a game being shut down for fire code violation. Is there more to this story or was it just that crowded and people refused to be stopped at the gate when it was full.
They stopped accepting fans. That is when people started sneaking in. They broke the fence at the front gate. Emergency vehicles couldn't get to the stadium. That is when they shut it down.

BALTIMORE SUN STORY:
So many people were in the parking lots and around the fences at Mervo during Friday night’s football game against Dunbar, where “multiple fights” broke out according to city police, that the game was shut down in the third quarter by the Baltimore City Fire Marshal.

Mervo coach Patrick Nixon and a Baltimore City Schools police officer said the crowd outside the stadium was so large there was no way for emergency personnel to get close in the event of an injury or another emergency. The crowd was preventing a police car or an ambulance from getting on the campus off Hillen Road.

“They are going to call the game,” Nixon told his players at about 8 p.m.

No. 10 Mervo trailed the sixth-ranked Poets, 16-8, with 1:58 remaining in the third quarter, but the Mustangs were gaining momentum.

if this isn't finished isn't it a 16-8 win for Dunbar?
The game started and is 34 minutes finished

I think that they should put both teams on a bus and bring them to Cumberland to finish the game! Just kidding of course but this is a game that I would love t

Coach Lawrence Smith at Dunbar just informed me that they will finish the game with Mervo on October 22. That is a Monday. Both play a game that weekend and the weekend after so I guess they just squeeze it in. I have no idea what the MPSSAA had to say about it since it doesn't fit into the rule book on number of games in a week. I would assume since Dunbar and Mervo only have a quarter and 1:59 to go they saw fit to make it work. And I think that is the right decision seeing Dunbar already has a game cancelled due to weather. No need to punish the kids for something out of their control.

Coach Lawrence Smith at Dunbar just informed me that they will finish the game with Mervo on October 22. That is a Monday. Both play a game that weekend and the weekend after so I guess they just squeeze it in. I have no idea what the MPSSAA had to say about it since it doesn't fit into the rule book on number of games in a week. I would assume since Dunbar and Mervo only have a quarter and 1:59 to go they saw fit to make it work. And I think that is the right decision seeing Dunbar already has a game cancelled due to weather. No need to punish the kids for something out of their control.
They usually allow games to be finished on Monday afternoons when bad weather happens. Never heard of them not doing it the Monday right after but in assuming they will allow it due to that fact

Do you think the MPSSAA would do the same thing for a Western MD school??? I would hope so but I'm not so sure..

ADVERTISEMENT