ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Appel will tie Mike Calhoun this week...

mccoke

All State Poster
Aug 25, 2004
Coach Appel currently has 121 wins as head coach at FH. With a win over Capitol Christian this week he will tie Mike Calhoun at 122. What a milestone!

Well I hope it draws humility... that post game radio interview last night was (a non aggressive word that means “lacking personal accountability”). Apple is a great coach... I’d just like to see less personal foul /illegal hit type penalties.

Well I hope it draws humility... that post game radio interview last night was (a non aggressive word that means “lacking personal accountability”). Apple is a great coach... I’d just like to see less personal foul /illegal hit type penalties.
I always listen to the postgame interview but the static was so bad I gave up...can you please elaborate.
I personally don't think it's necessary to always say "he's a great coach, but"...I think we give him credit when it's due but it's only fair when he says something controversial or lacking accountability we point that out also.
The thing that ires me the most is every interview after a win includes god..but when he loses there is no mention of god. None of us are perfect but lacking self awareness or having humility is something we can all strive to better, including coach.

Reactions: camper21502
I always listen to the postgame interview but the static was so bad I gave up...can you please elaborate.
I personally don't think it's necessary to always say "he's a great coach, but"...I think we give him credit when it's due but it's only fair when he says something controversial or lacking accountability we point that out also.
The thing that ires me the most is every interview after a win includes god..but when he loses there is no mention of god. None of us are perfect but lacking self awareness or having humility is something we can all strive to better, including coach.

Very true. You can also hear him complain about officiating when he thinks it's bad, but never hear him say, the refs really helped us out with that call.

Last year when he was crying about the schedule being too hard in consecutive weeks and threw Helmick under the bus, the SJWs still swarmed here to defend him.

Apparently, in their mind, he is infallible.

Coach Appel is a good coach and has done a great job during his tenure at FH. Congratulations to both him and all the players he has coached that together have achieved this milestone.

Like all of us he is a human and will make mistakes, and let emotions/frustrations get the best of him, who hasn't. Unfortunately in coaching the opportunity to cover up a "bad day" isn't as easy as it is in other jobs.

At the end of the day he has done FAR more good than bad and has taught his players many valueable lessons that will serve them well after their playing days are over.

Appel is a good coach who has produced good teams every year throughout his tenure. Well organized, he keeps the kids and coaches motivated - which can be difficult when you have the level of success of FH has. It's easy to become complacent. And the kids like to play for him, which is probably the best compliment you can give a coach. I can't put him in the "great" category because of the level of competition his teams have faced, and I do realize that he can't control the teams FH has played recently in the playoffs.

Appel is a good coach who has produced good teams every year throughout his tenure. Well organized, he keeps the kids and coaches motivated - which can be difficult when you have the level of success of FH has. It's easy to become complacent. And the kids like to play for him, which is probably the best compliment you can give a coach. I can't put him in the "great" category because of the level of competition his teams have faced, and I do realize that he can't control the teams FH has played recently in the playoffs.

Can't you make a post one time with out poking at the FH schedule? It's a small 1A school you stupid ****. By your analysis no 1A team can have a great coach.

I have never seen anyone so obsessed about one thing.

Last edited:
Can't you make a post one time with out poking at the FH schedule? It's a small 1A school you stupid ****. By your analysis no 1A team can have a great coach.

at the end of the day does one person's opinion really matter? I know not everybody is going to agree with my opinions. However, I will say I try not to judge allegany's team or coaches..I do ask allegany posters what their thoughts are on something. When you are not involved in a program and you don't have friends/families who have ties, you don't always know what is going on inside the program. When you do know somebody and they've had a bad experience with this coach and you mention it, it's almost taboo. You aren't supposed to say anything that's not positive or you are stupid, uninformed, stirring the pot...whatever. Those are the replies you just have to ignore because they are not coming from a place of facts but from some emotional ties. You can think he's a good coach but you can also believe he makes some very bad decisions and continues to use the same ole excuses when he loses or doesn't win by enough, it doesn't make you wrong or right.

I'm really missing your point. I just said 4 or 5 positive things about the program. I don't work PR for FH so yeah I gave a balanced opinion. Several people before me also gave their opinions. You act like I just trashed him. I agree reaching 122 wins is a milestone. I just can't put him in the "great" category. I think Coach Smith from Dunbar is a great 1A coach from this era.

I'm really missing your point. I just said 4 or 5 positive things about the program. I don't work PR for FH so yeah I gave a balanced opinion. Several people before me also gave their opinions. You act like I just trashed him. I agree reaching 122 wins is a milestone. I just can't put him in the "great" category. I think Coach Smith from Dunbar is a great 1A coach from this era.

I guess judging by that standard, there hasn't been a "great" Allegany coach since Herman Ball.

Let's me play devils advocate...why is Coach Smith a "great" coach?

If the caliber of team you play matters then why isn’t the silver oak head coach great? What about Clayton anders, Phil Carr, hell Ryan Patterson. By the teams each of those listed coaches fields, you could say they all play tough schedules.

If the caliber of team you play matters then why isn’t the silver oak head coach great? What about Clayton anders, Phil Carr, hell Ryan Patterson. By the teams each of those listed coaches fields, you could say they all play tough schedules.
which brings us back to what makes coach smith great?

Lawrence Smith has NEVER in the last 10 years beaten a Top 25 team other than FH last December. Look it up. That is the standard being used here. The previous 2 times he beat FH they weren't anywhere near a top 25 team.

No knock on Coach Smith. He too is a great coach. He wins at the 1A level. Nothing more.

Lawrence Smith has NEVER in the last 10 years beaten a Top 25 team other than FH last December. Look it up. That is the standard being used here. The previous 2 times he beat FH they weren't anywhere near a top 25 team.

No knock on Coach Smith. He too is a great coach. He wins at the 1A level. Nothing more.
Well if Coach Appel isn't a great coach it's hard to say fh is a great team, so beating them doesn't qualify you as great. If FH isn't great because of who they beat in their state championship wins, then you have to ask who Dunbar beat in the finals that would qualify them as great. When they moved to 2A they didn't win any titles. If he was a great coach wouldn't he have won titles in 2A? I guess great is very subjective

Reactions: BoyznBlue

Hey, what's up Coach Brian!? Haven't had the pleasure of catching up with your bitch ass in a while. Good to see you're still on here crying like a little girl that got her phone taken away and keeping us all updated on the important things like how great the Hartleys Patriots 3rd down conversion rates are this season.

Great question above, but can you even make one post without it concerning how great FH is and how absolutely terrible Alco is, along with how bad they're going to be in the future for years to come? Because I actually have seen someone that obsessed with one thing, and you're the winner.

Do yourself a favor and take a few notes from Forever Red and White (who nailed it, btw). A little emotional intelligence might help you out.... might even help you not have to edit every single post you make on here.

By the way, hopefully your kid that plays on the team is having a good season so far.

"It's real bad."

Lol clown. You're an embarrassment to the good FH posters on this board.

*post actually not edited at 10:57pm

Hey, what's up Coach Brian!? Haven't had the pleasure of catching up with your bitch ass in a while. Good to see you're still on here crying like a little girl that got her phone taken away and keeping us all updated on the important things like how great the Hartleys Patriots 3rd down conversion rates are this season.

Great question above, but can you even make one post without it concerning how great FH is and how absolutely terrible Alco is, along with how bad they're going to be in the future for years to come? Because I actually have seen someone that obsessed with one thing, and you're the winner.

Do yourself a favor and take a few notes from Forever Red and White (who nailed it, btw). A little emotional intelligence might help you out.... might even help you not have to edit every single post you make on here.

By the way, hopefully your kid that plays on the team is having a good season so far.

"It's real bad."

Lol clown. You're an embarrassment to the good FH posters on this board.

*post actually not edited at 10:57pm
Who is discussing Alco? Stick to the purpleace thread PhoneyIsland.

Are you joking? Since 2007, Dunbar has won the State Championship every year they have been in 1A except 2009. That year they lost to the eventual champion in the playoffs by only one point. This goes beyond "great" to legendary status. The years FH won the title were when Dunbar went to 2A. And FH has never defeated a Coach Smith coached Dunbar squad.

Also, when I write I'm very careful. If you noticed, I said Coach Smith is a great 1A coach. I didn't say he was great at the 2A level or any other level.

Last edited:

I looked it up: Dunbar defeated Top 25 teams Hereford in 2016 and Douglass (PG) in 2012

And once again, I only said Smith was a great 1A coach. I didn't say he was anything other than that.

Are you joking? Since 2007 Dunbar has won the State Championship every year they been in 1A except 2009. That year they lost to the eventual champion in the playoffs by only one point. This goes beyond "great" to legendary status. The years FH won the title were when Dunbar went to 2A. And FH has never defeated a Coach Smith coached Dunbar squad.

Also, when I write I'm very careful. If you noticed, I said Coach Smith is a great 1A coach. I didn't say he was great at the 2A level or any other level.
Smith is now at legendary status but Todd’s not even “great”? Cmon man.

Well if Coach Appel isn't a great coach it's hard to say fh is a great team, so beating them doesn't qualify you as great. If FH isn't great because of who they beat in their state championship wins, then you have to ask who Dunbar beat in the finals that would qualify them as great. When they moved to 2A they didn't win any titles. If he was a great coach wouldn't he have won titles in 2A? I guess great is very subjective

I can't argue with anything you've said here. You make some interesting points.

Who is discussing Alco? Stick to the purpleace thread PhoneyIsland.

90% of the time, you're the one discussing Alco. How did you not pick up on that?

You're an idiot Brian. It's well documented that you're never able to logically support your emotional rants, and as we all know, you have no bearing or direct connection to FH or Allegany football.

And no, driving all summer to FH 7 on 7 passing competitions and attending every youth league game doesn't count. That's more of a mental condition then anything else.

Thanks for being there to help us all out on here 24 hours a day though. I'll always remember your 3am emotional support sessions (always edited, of course) where you still failed to provide any type of response that made sense. Ever.

I mean can you believe Coach Smith has NEVER?

NEVER!! Lol

Just stop man... you're not built for this.

Smith is now at legendary status but Todd’s not even “great”? Cmon man.

FH won the title the four years that Dunbar went to 2A. If you look at the schools FH beat in the playoffs during those years they were all totally overmatched. Which one of those games did FH really win by outcoaching the opposing team? Anyone on this board could have been on the sideline (or in the booth) and there would have been the same results. And as I said earlier, I understand it's not FH's fault that they were playing 3-7 teams in the state semi-finals, they were just playing the teams the way MPSSAA set up the brackets. But that still doesn't make you a great coach.

Do the math, Smith has won the title 6 out of 7 years in 1A and he's 3-0 against FH. Todd has won the title 4 out of 10 years in 1A. Earlier, I acknowledged Todd is a good coach and 122 wins under any circumstances is an accomplishment to be proud of. I personally don't put that in the "great" category.

Last edited:
90% of the time, you're the one discussing Alco. How did you not pick up on that?

You're an idiot Brian. It's well documented that you're never able to logically support your emotional rants, and as we all know, you have no bearing or direct connection to FH or Allegany football.

And no, driving all summer to FH 7 on 7 passing competitions and attending every youth league game doesn't count. That's more of a mental condition then anything else.

Thanks for being there to help us all out on here 24 hours a day though. I'll always remember your 3am emotional support sessions (always edited, of course) where you still failed to provide any type of response that made sense. Ever.

I mean can you believe Coach Smith has NEVER?

NEVER!! Lol

Just stop man... you're not built for this.

"It's well documented that you're never able to logically support your emotional rants,"

Glad I'm not the only one that picked up on how emotionally disturbed brian gets when anything is said that isn't a "gallon of pro FH kool-aid."

Reactions: OneRing
I looked it up: Dunbar defeated Top 25 teams Hereford in 2016 and Douglass (PG) in 2012

And once again, I only said Smith was a great 1A coach. I didn't say he was anything other than that.

Hereford did not finish in the Top 25 in 2016 and was ranked 85th in the state by maxpreps. They had one of the worst schedules as well. Thats why they went 11-1 and unranked. Dunbar did not play Douglass PG in 2016, they played Douglass Balt.

"It's well documented that you're never able to logically support your emotional rants,"

Glad I'm not the only one that picked up on how emotionally disturbed brian gets when anything is said that isn't a "gallon of pro FH kool-aid."

bigsavage played at FH and couldnt make it to college because his high school grades weren't good enough. Why waste time arguing with a person who cant cut high school. Take any AP classes there Mr. Intelligent?

FH won the title the four years that Dunbar went to 2A. If you look at the schools FH beat in the playoffs during those years they were all totally overmatched. Which one of those games did FH really win by outcoaching the opposing team? Anyone on this board could have been on the sideline (or in the booth) and there would have been the same results. And as I said earlier, I understand it's not FH's fault that they were playing 3-7 teams in the state semi-finals, they were just playing the teams the way MPSSAA set up the brackets. But that still doesn't make you a great coach.

Do the math, Smith has won the title 6 out of 7 years in 1A and he's 3-0 against FH. Todd has won the title 4 out of 10 years in 1A. Earlier, I acknowledged Todd is a good coach and 122 wins under any circumstances is an accomplishment to be proud of. I personally don't put that in the "great" category.
I have no doubt that those Ty Johnson teams would've crushed Dunbar.. Those were some of the best FH teams that I have seen in a long time. I said before could you imagine if Appel had Dunbar talent? Todd does alot more with alot less which makes him the greatest coach in 1A..

Reactions: hbpass2
I have no doubt that those Ty Johnson teams would've crushed Dunbar.. Those were some of the best FH teams that I have seen in a long time. I said before could you imagine if Appel had Dunbar talent? Todd does alot more with alot less which makes him the greatest coach in 1A..
I’d also add the last 2 state teams with brown would have beat Dunbar as well.

We can debate theoretical stuff all day, but in reality the record speaks for itself: Todd is 0-3 against Smith.

And if you have "no doubt those Ty Johnson teams would have crushed Dunbar" that question could have been settled on the field. There were opportunities to play them. Maybe you don't have any doubt but the coaching staff did. Don't forget Appel ushered in the era of MATHS, Silver Oak, Capital Christian, etc. Lattimer used to play Martinsburg and Douglass (PG). Appel may be the greatest scheduler in 1A, lol.

Reactions: OneRing
Hereford was ranked in the Top 25, they only dropped out after Dunbar beat them:

http://www.mdprepfootball.com/?p=11249
The Hereford team Dunbar beat 60-14 that finished unranked? If you say so. I would put the 2015 Sherando or the 2017 Melbourne teams FH beat over them every day. You have your opinion and I have mine obviously.

I can buy the Coach Appel is 0-3 against Dunbar, although the 2008 and 2010 4 loss FH were far inferior to Dunbar talent. But the schedule comparison thing you like to throw out constantly is way off base. If a really bad Hereford team is the best competition you have for Dunbar the last 10 years more power to you.

The Hereford team Dunbar beat 60-14 that finished unranked? If you say so. I would put the 2015 Sherando or the 2017 Melbourne teams FH beat over them every day. You have your opinion and I have mine obviously.

I can buy the Coach Appel is 0-3 against Dunbar, although the 2008 and 2010 4 loss FH were far inferior to Dunbar talent. But the schedule comparison thing you like to throw out constantly is way off base. If a really bad Hereford team is the best competition you have for Dunbar the last 10 years more power to you.

I agree with both sides of this argument on a few levels. FH has no legs to stand on at all if you want to compare teams with Dunbar. Not sure why you have to be so bullish about it though to try and get your point across. I guess I can be guilty of that sometimes so I should probably take my own advice. It's only a message board in Western Maryland LOL.

bigsavage played at FH and couldnt make it to college because his high school grades weren't good enough. Why waste time arguing with a person who cant cut high school. Take any AP classes there Mr. Intelligent?

Lol "couldn't make it to college?" Are you sure about that buddy? Lmao thanks for continuing to prove how emotionally disturbed you are.

Hansel is 1-0 over Smith so is he better???

Interesting perspective. Personally, I think both Alco and FH have a history of making the most of the talent available to them. How many championships would both schools have if the playoff system had started many years earlier.

Reactions: camper21502

Oh, you would put those two teams over Hereford? That's great but you keep forgetting that no one on this board cares what you think because you are a cry-ass baby little girl with absolutely no basis, ever.

Turns out your whole quife about Coach Smith and Dunbar is crap too, just like the rest of your failed attempts at logic. You call Boyz a stupid f*ck like he doesn't know we're all talking 1A football here and you don't even know your own shit? F*ckass clown.

And wtf do you know about anyone else on the board anyway? Please, enlighten us all on your impressive list of credentials aside from fantasizing about the 10-13 year old boys teams that you watch play every weekend of your shit life so you can come on here and talk about it.

NEVER!!

LOOK IT UP!!

Lol

Reactions: bigsavage
Purpleass... you're shit, and no one likes you. Just leave.

Like we talked about before, man.. you're a joke. A pathetic rumor mill. Just crying, stirring the pot and diddling yourself.

Your opinions have no value or basis. Just a crybaby little girl. At 3:30 in the a.m.

Previous posts from Phoney Island.

What is your deal PhoneyIsland? Run around calling everyone a "crybaby little girl" in multiple posts? That is hilarious. Where did you come up with that name calling slogan you keep using, from old episodes of The Brady Bunch? Hahahaha. What's next, gonna call someone a dork, a diaper sniffer, a sissy, a nerd, a fart smeller, takes one to know one, a poop head, a butt munch, a dickweed, a donkey dick, gay or maybe bust on my momma being fat? Bet you got a million of them.

NEVER as I said and proved. Now go f**k yourself blue balls or maybe Mr. Intelligent can do it for you after he gets off his minimum wage no college education job. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT