ADVERTISEMENT

Catoctin and the 1A West Playoff Race

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
Looking specifically at Catoctin, they have cleared their biggest hurdles by defeating Boonsboro 26-14 and Southern 28-27. While there may be a POSSIBLE loss for them, the reality is they should be the favorite in all of their remaining games, judging lazily at least by MaxPreps rankings (I know, I know). It is very likely they will finish 10-0, 9-1 at worse.

The whole 1A West playoff race is going to be interesting.

It’ll be interesting to watch over the remaining weeks because for the first time in a long time area schools will be playing each other. With Catoctin likely filling one of the playoff spots that leaves 3. Let’s face it FH rolls over everyone left on their schedule except maybe holidaysburg but they still win so that leaves 2 spots for 4 or 5 teams. Those teams being alco, ridge, boonesboro, southern, and northern. Definitely some interesting match ups to watch play out.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Northern is most likely to lose four more games: Frankfort, Mtn Ridge, Allegany and Southern. Frankfort is the ? mark to me.

Right now I believe the locks are Catoctin AND Fort Hill. Southern has the best shot at the third spot. They have a lot of games they should win, but can they pull it off? Mountain Ridge has a tough schedule. University, Spring Mills, Fort Hill, Keyser, Frankfort, and Northern area all tough games. If they can win all but the Fort Hill one they have a shot. But I don't know that they are going to be able to do that. I am a lot more optimistic after this weeks game. I still think Alco slips in the final spot with Southern.

Looking specifically at Catoctin, they have cleared their biggest hurdles by defeating Boonsboro 26-14 and Southern 28-27. While there may be a POSSIBLE loss for them, the reality is they should be the favorite in all of their remaining games, judging lazily at least by MaxPreps rankings (I know, I know). It is very likely they will finish 10-0, 9-1 at worse.

The whole 1A West playoff race is going to be interesting.

You lost me at biggest hurdles Boonsboro and Southern.

Maybe FH should schedule Wise and Martinsburg. LOL. For what reason? To go 8-2 or 7-3 and be looking up at teams like Catoctin? What a system Maryland has.

Nobody is looking up to them, the fact remains they are essentially a lock for a spot. And yes, for Catoctin and their schedule, Boonsboro and Southern were likely their biggest chance at a loss. Worried about Catoctin, hah, Fort Hill will put a running clock on them. I’m just speaking of eligible spots for the playoffs.

Nobody is looking up to them, the fact remains they are essentially a lock for a spot. And yes, for Catoctin and their schedule, Boonsboro and Southern were likely their biggest chance at a loss. Worried about Catoctin, hah, Fort Hill will put a running clock on them. I’m just speaking of eligible spots for the playoffs.
Well I was sarcastically referring to the fact that if FH starts playing power houses they could wind up missing the playoffs with w or 3 losses because teams in the region like Catoctin have their toughest battles being Southern and Boonsboro. The point system penalizes teams for playing tough opponents.

FH would get in 90% of the time with 3 losses but if you dont wanna play a top 25 school I get it...

Last edited:
...3. Let’s face it FH rolls over everyone left on their schedule except maybe holidaysburg but they still win so that leaves 2 spots for 4 or 5 teams. Those teams being alco, ridge, boonesboro, southern, and northern. Definitely some interesting match ups to watch play out.

Homecoming is never a given, no matter how well either team is doing. While Hollidaysburg will likely be a challenge, so will Allegany. And, don't underestimate Mountain Ridge. They might be better than one might think.

Homecoming is never a given, no matter how well either team is doing. While Hollidaysburg will likely be a challenge, so will Allegany. And, don't underestimate Mountain Ridge. They might be better than one might think.
Couldn't agree more...and it's not just homecoming, it's the rematch that happens just about every year. Allegany proved in that second game last year it's tough to get by a rival twice in two weeks.

Couldn't agree more...and it's not just homecoming, it's the rematch that happens just about every year. Allegany proved in that second game last year it's tough to get by a rival twice in two weeks.
There wont be a 2nd game this yr. if Alco keeps playing like they have... If they were to play tomorrow FH would probably put up a running clock against us.. Hopefully we get it together to make a game out of Homecoming. I think having Preaskorn back will help a good bit upfront and Shirey was surely missed against the Miners.. We need to get these players back and stay healthy to save our season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT