ADVERTISEMENT

Cathedral Prep preview

Waggle Pass

Hall of Fame Poster
Apr 5, 2002
Cumberland, Md via Pittsburgh, Pa
Sounds like not quite the total rebuild some want us to believe. Return more starters on defense than offense.

Cathedral Prep Ramblers

Coach: Mike Mischler (21st season, 202-58)

2018 overall record: 13-3

2018 region record: 2-0 (champion)

2018 playoff results: Defeated Fort LeBoeuf 42-12 to win the District 10 Class 4A championship. Prep then defeated University Prep 52-8, Clearfield 55-21, South Fayette 42-10, Bishop McDevitt 48-7 and Imhotep Charter 38-7 to win the PIAA Class 4A championship.

Top players lost: Billy Lucas, Joe Scarabino, Jordan Covatto, Regan Schleicher, Chris Oliver, Kawaun Deboe, Skyler Neely, Colin Kelly, Luke Kubiak, Shelby Wiley, Alex Baldi, Ervin Williams, Darius Williams, Jeff Bone, Amani Robinson

Top returning players: Mike Lupo, Collin Johnson, Jack Oedekoven, Kareem Carson, Trayshawn L'Amoureux, James Janicki, Jaelen Carson, Jaheim Howard, Luke Sittinger, Dorian Crosby, Mike Oblich, Luke MacKenzie, Tom Swanson, Jaylen House, Mark Hudson, Mitchell Sweeney, Jaheim Williams, Roman Miksa

Assistant coaches: Mike Krahe, Corey Heflin, Jerry Roberts, Chris King, Jeremiah Conley, Pat Czytuck, Dan Vitale, Kareem Carson, Jason Ladouceur, Estus Barnes, Mike Parks, Bryan Baumann

Outlook: After graduating a once-in-a-lifetime class, expectations weren't high for the 2018 Cathedral Prep football team. The Ramblers, however, caught fire in the postseason to win its third-straight state championship, which is a District 10 record. Quarterback Regan Schleicher and running back Billy Lucas became a tough rushing duo to stop, while the Prep defense shut down some of the top offenses in the state during an incredible run in the playoffs.

Schleicher became the starting quarterback when Collin Johnson went down with an injury, and Lucas ran for more than 1,000 yards in the playoffs and became the third 2,000-yard rusher for one season in school history. Prep will have some work to do in rebuilding the offensive line and the backfield. The Ramblers return just two starting linemen in center Trayshawn L'Amoureux and guard James Janicki. The Ramblers graduated all-region linemen Jordan Covatto, Chris Oliver and Kawaun DeBoe. Tom Swanson, Mark Hudson and Mitchell Sweeney could all be in the mix for playing time on the line, while juniors Jaheim Bassham, Will McAdory and Gavin Irons could compete as well.

Johnson returns at quarterback after missing the entire postseason with an injury. He is joined by Mike Lupo at fullback and Jack Oedekoven and Jaelen Carson at wide receiver. Johnson threw for 899 yards and 13 touchdowns to one interception, while Oedekoven led Prep with 37 catches for 769 yards and 10 touchdowns. Luke Sittinger ran for 670 yards and six touchdowns last fall, and Jaheim Howard ran for 423 yards and two touchdowns. Both could see a big increase in carries to replace Lucas. Jaheim Williams is another candidate to see an increase in touches after the graduation of Skyler Neely and Alex Baldi at wide receiver.

Prep allowed just 17.4 points per game last season, including just 10.8 points per game in the playoffs. The Ramblers went through some tough games against top teams, allowing 51 points to Canadian powerhouse Clarkson North, 39 against Benedictine out of Ohio and 35 against Cleveland powerhouse St. Edward. The Prep defense shored things up after the Clarkson North game to dominate the rest of the way. The Ramblers return Lupo at defensive end and Kareem Carson at noseguard. Williams and Sittinger are back at linebacker, while Gianni Viglione could step up at outside linebacker after missing almost all of last season with an injury. Howard is a returning starter at free safety and Carson at cornerback.

Howard second on the team with four interceptions last year, and Prep will have to replace Ervin Williams, who had five. Joe Scarabino led the defense with 61/2 sacks, but he is gone to graduation, and Sittinger had four sacks. Jaheim Williams is back after leading the Ramblers with 97 tackles, followed by Sittinger with 90 and Lupo with 70. Dorian Crosby, Sweeney and Hudson could be impact players on the defensive line, while Mike Oblich is back at linebacker. Tamar Sample and John Campbell could be in the mix at linebacker, while Karson Fomich could compete for time on the defensive line and Patrick Fortin and Ben Tirpak in the secondary.

--Tom Reisenweber

Far from the journalist’s claim. Just by watching game film online, looking at the players on the field who are returning and their roster, along with their ability to recruit more players if they want to, they should be quite good this year. From what I watched, it looks like 6 guys are coming back on defense and they have a quality QB’s, the original starter who was injured all last year coming back.

Reactions: RedPride97
After graduating a once-in-a-lifetime class, expectations weren't high for the 2018 Cathedral Prep football team. The Ramblers, however, caught fire in the postseason to win its third-straight state championship, which is a District 10 record.

They must rebuild, or em ah yea...reload every year. LOL
Sounds like this year's rebuilding project won't be as harsh as last year when they finished No. 2 in the state.

Reactions: bigsavage
After graduating a once-in-a-lifetime class, expectations weren't high for the 2018 Cathedral Prep football team. The Ramblers, however, caught fire in the postseason to win its third-straight state championship, which is a District 10 record.

They must rebuild, or em ah yea...reload every year. LOL
Sounds like this year's rebuilding project won't be as harsh as last year when they finished No. 2 in the state.

Saw online that they had 7 players go D1 from the 2017 team. So it seems like last season was the major rebuild.

Reactions: 5punisher3
Dominant programs like FH, Cathedral Prep, DeMatha, Wise, Dunbar, Damascus, Martinsburg, etc. never have rebuilding years when there is coaching stability. Coach Appel and Coach Mischler are identical coaching twins. I know because I talked to Coach Mischler and their AD Bill Flanagan at great length about getting this contract done. Which BTW, both graduated from Cathedral Prep in 1987. Coach Mischler is worried about FH. Coach Appel is worried about Cathedral Prep. That's what they do.

Yes, I was told directly by their head coach that he has lost a good many players heading into this season. I was also told he went through the same concerns last year. I told him FH lost every single starter on defense, their QB, FB, both halfbacks, WR and two TE and huge tackle. He was like, yeah but you guys have a good program. I'm like yes and so do you.

Honestly, since 2008 I don't ever remember a year when FH bought the kitchen sink back in regards to starters other than maybe 2016 when they had Brown and Graves as seniors. FH always relies on seniors, that is what makes great teams in every sport. It's like March Madness. You can have all your one and done NBA kids, give me the senior based team to win it all.

Dominant programs like FH, Cathedral Prep, DeMatha, Wise, Dunbar, Damascus, Martinsburg, etc. never have rebuilding years when there is coaching stability. Coach Appel and Coach Mischler are identical coaching twins. I know because I talked to Coach Mischler and their AD Bill Flanagan at great length about getting this contract done. Which BTW, both graduated from Cathedral Prep in 1987. Coach Mischler is worried about FH. Coach Appel is worried about Cathedral Prep. That's what they do.

Yes, I was told directly by their head coach that he has lost a good many players heading into this season. I was also told he went through the same concerns last year. I told him FH lost every single starter on defense, their QB, FB, both halfbacks, WR and two TE and huge tackle. He was like, yeah but you guys have a good program. I'm like yes and so do you.

Honestly, since 2008 I don't ever remember a year when FH bought the kitchen sink back in regards to starters other than maybe 2016 when they had Brown and Graves as seniors. FH always relies on seniors, that is what makes great teams in every sport. It's like March Madness. You can have all your one and done NBA kids, give me the senior based team to win it all.

Todd, looks like you're the real journalist here on the board. I suspect Coach Mischler did not say anything about officiating at Greenway? Just checking.....

Far from the journalist’s claim. Just by watching game film online, looking at the players on the field who are returning and their roster, along with their ability to recruit more players if they want to, they should be quite good this year. From what I watched, it looks like 6 guys are coming back on defense and they have a quality QB’s, the original starter who was injured all last year coming back.
6 defensive starters coming back fh has to build a defense from scratch. Plus a new d coach. I think we got some fake news

Reactions: bigsavage
6 defensive starters coming back fh has to build a defense from scratch. Plus a new d coach. I think we got some fake news

This is a solid football game y'all have scheduled here. If you want to compete for titles, you have to have 2 or 3 of these guys on your schedule every year. I hope Morgantown is a good game for FH too.

Wasn't aware that you guys have a new D-Coordinator though? Can someone post the varsity coach names and coaching positions?

Todd, Was wondering if the game with Cathederal is still a go for that Thursday night? or is there talk of going there to play that weekend in Erie?
I was told that Allegany is at Home Friday Night, There is a Band Competition Saturday
so FH got The Cathederal Game for Thursday night at 6PM only to find out there is 2 Soccer games Scheduled for that day at Greenway. I figured they would just switch the Soccer games to another night but I know that can be a mess and wasn't sure if it was Alco or FH Soccer. I hope the game is played on Thursday night as Scheduled

This is a solid football game y'all have scheduled here. If you want to compete for titles, you have to have 2 or 3 of these guys on your schedule every year. I hope Morgantown is a good game for FH too.

Wasn't aware that you guys have a new D-Coordinator though? Can someone post the varsity coach names and coaching positions?
I was interested in this as well. They lost D Cord. Mckenney and the O Cord. Palumbo
These guys have been at it for years and have Families so I get it.

Todd, Was wondering if the game with Cathederal is still a go for that Thursday night? or is there talk of going there to play that weekend in Erie?
I was told that Allegany is at Home Friday Night, There is a Band Competition Saturday
so FH got The Cathederal Game for Thursday night at 6PM only to find out there is 2 Soccer games Scheduled for that day at Greenway. I figured they would just switch the Soccer games to another night but I know that can be a mess and wasn't sure if it was Alco or FH Soccer. I hope the game is played on Thursday night as Scheduled

Cathedral Prep locked in for Thursday night 6:00 at Greenway in 2019. Soccer games were moved. This is a potential monster gate like Melbourne CC. The athletic budget needs it bad making it a no brainer.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Tdhelmick I'm sure there's gonna be newspaper articles and radio announcements in the week prior. With anything build up, anticipation and marketing are key...

I might be getting ahead of myself.. Hopefully both teams have decent records heading into the game. Hard to not get excited about this game...

Last edited:
Tdhelmick I'm sure there's gonna be newspaper articles and radio announcements in the week prior. With anything build up, anticipation and marketing are key...

And the weather of course. Putting it on Thursday when then other local schools are not playing is key as well. When you figure in the Alco, MR, Frankfort, etc. fans that accounts for a much, much bigger draw. We wanted a 7:00 game but the Erie folks didn't want to get back home at 2 or 3 am on a school night. Can't argue that. The fact they agreed to come here 4 hours away on a Thursday is a blessing of itself.

Looks like the game at Erie next year will be Oct 7 on a Friday night at 7:00 pm. That is a week later than 2019 because of the ever famous Pennsylvania week shift. That also allows Hollidaysburg to be another 2 year deal, which is good. They play FH in frosh, JV and varsity and are less than an hour away. Don't ever want to lose Hollidaysburg off the schedules.

Holidaysburg is a formidable oppt with a college type atmosphere. Definitely don't want to lose that

Prep alum here. I knew nothing about Fort Hill until Prep scheduled them. That's how I came across this forum. I thought I could provide some info Fort Hill fans might be interested in.

Prep for the most part will platoon, however , I know the 2 main running backs do play defense . They usually rotate series offensively in a single back pistol formation.

First away game this week against McKeesport will be a real test. They won 9 games last year and 2-0 this year. Prep will see where they stand.

Some other info: Clarkston North was the biggest size wise HS football team Ive ever seen. St Eds will probably be the best team Prep plays all year, last years Ohio big school champion (dropped first game at Mentor).

Erie Veterans Stadium seats about 12,000 and was a shared facility but Prep opted to build an event athletic center about 10 years ago. Football seats about 1800-2000 . Honestly for most games all they need. This year the St Eds game will be the exception and the stadium would have been the better venue, but I believe the Erie Royals (city public school) are playing that nite. Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Prep alum here. I knew nothing about Fort Hill until Prep scheduled them. That's how I came across this forum. I thought I could provide some info Fort Hill fans might be interested in.

Prep for the most part will platoon, however , I know the 2 main running backs do play defense . They usually rotate series offensively in a single back pistol formation.

First away game this week against McKeesport will be a real test. They won 9 games last year and 2-0 this year. Prep will see where they stand.

Some other info: Clarkston North was the biggest size wise HS football team Ive ever seen. St Eds will probably be the best team Prep plays all year, last years Ohio big school champion (dropped first game at Mentor).

Erie Veterans Stadium seats about 12,000 and was a shared facility but Prep opted to build an event athletic center about 10 years ago. Football seats about 1800-2000 . Honestly for most games all they need. This year the St Eds game will be the exception and the stadium would have been the better venue, but I believe the Erie Royals (city public school) are playing that nite. Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Welcome. If you can sort through the garbage, you can see that Fort Hill is very young this season. Entire defense and offensive backfield graduated. Greenway Ave Stadium seats about 6300 and we are expecting a large crowd, if the weather cooperates, for this game. Few, if any, expect FH to win this game. The interesting component will be to see how ECP defends Fort Hill's wing-t offense. The Florida team Fort Hill played a couple of years ago didn't seem to have any idea how to stop it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt any of ECP's opponents run a wing-t.

I believe next weeks opponent McKeesport runs the triple option from the wing t. In there playoff run during the past few years they ran into it a few times. Without checking I think it was Berks catholic in 2017 and 2016.
Erie Royals might also run it.

If you want to know how good Prep is we will all find out Friday nite . St Eds coming to town. Spanked Prep last year in Cleveland. Maxpreps has their roster listed at 158 kids, that's got to include sophomores. St Eds website shows about 90 on the varsity. Hoping for a good game and a Prep win, but if I was a betting it would be on St Eds.

At this point I cant guarantee Prep is the best HS football team within 5 miles of Erie city limits. Mcdowell HS is big, deep and very good. Prep will play them a week after Fort Hill.

McKeesport was a nice win. Left point off the board in the first half with a chip shot missed fg and an extra point by Frosh kicker. He was perfect in the 2nd half. First McKeesport td came after Prep ran into the punter keeping opening drive alive. 2nd half Prep dominated.

If you want to know how good Prep is we will all find out Friday nite . St Eds coming to town. Spanked Prep last year in Cleveland. Maxpreps has their roster listed at 158 kids, that's got to include sophomores. St Eds website shows about 90 on the varsity. Hoping for a good game and a Prep win, but if I was a betting it would be on St Eds.

At this point I cant guarantee Prep is the best HS football team within 5 miles of Erie city limits. Mcdowell HS is big, deep and very good. Prep will play them a week after Fort Hill.

McKeesport was a nice win. Left point off the board in the first half with a chip shot missed fg and an extra point by Frosh kicker. He was perfect in the 2nd half. First McKeesport td came after Prep ran into the punter keeping opening drive alive. 2nd half Prep dominated.

Appreciate you coming here to share info. Cathedral Prep now has alot of South Cumberland fans. Please come back.

Didn't St. Edwards win the Ohio state title last year? I know they beat monster power St. Ignatius late in the season.

Yep they started slow like Prep, but after they beat Prep they went on a roll. They were the big school champion, Division I, they have 7 divisions/classifications. Last few years they have beaten St Iggys in the "Holy War". We are close to the Ohio border and I watch alot of Ohio HS football on my cable system. Mentor a large suburban Cleveland public school has beaten both St eds and St Iggys in the first two games. Mitch Tribisky, da bears, played for Mentor. Ill bet either Eds or Iggys will take them out in the playoffs.

Papride1 thank you for the information I know I like to watch good high school football and I think others here do as well. We like learning and hearing about football outside of our area. Thank you for joining us any knowledge or information is welcomed

Erie Prep vs Cleveland St. Eds will be streamed LIVE Friday night on the Prep-Villa Facebook page if anyone is interested.
Do you post on Yappi? I know after last year most of them think Eds will dust Prep.

The thing about Facebook live video is that there is no way to watch it later. I will be in Morgantown watching the Sentinels play Friday night so can't be home to see CP live. I have tried to figure out a way to record live Facebook video but it is proving difficult. I tried with some college games this weekend but it did not work on my Android Box. I'm pretty sure the FH scouting crew will be at this game filming it so I will have to try and watch it on Hudl.

Do you post on Yappi? I know after last year most of them think Eds will dust Prep.

Yes, I post on Yappi. I think this years game with ED's should be a little more competitive then last year. When they played ED's last year, Prep was still trying to figure out where to put guys on the field. Not having a scrimmage last season really hurt them for the first 3-4 weeks in my opinion. There was a lot of stuff to work through that wasn't exposed in scrimmages.

I really thought Prep took themselves out of the game early when Eds returned the first Prep punt of the game for a TD.

I'm hoping its a lot more competitive, like a Prep win, but Eds is definitely the favorite. I want to see if Prep can run with any consistency, if the defensive secondary doesnt get exposed, and I worry about the kicking game. I believe in the first 3 games extra points were missed, as well as a couple of chip shot field goals.

Yep they started slow like Prep, but after they beat Prep they went on a roll. They were the big school champion, Division I, they have 7 divisions/classifications. Last few years they have beaten St Iggys in the "Holy War". We are close to the Ohio border and I watch alot of Ohio HS football on my cable system. Mentor a large suburban Cleveland public school has beaten both St eds and St Iggys in the first two games. Mitch Tribisky, da bears, played for Mentor. Ill bet either Eds or Iggys will take them out in the playoffs.

How do you think this CP teams compares to the previous 3 state champs?

I really thought Prep took themselves out of the game early when Eds returned the first Prep punt of the game for a TD.

I'm hoping its a lot more competitive, like a Prep win, but Eds is definitely the favorite. I want to see if Prep can run with any consistency, if the defensive secondary doesnt get exposed, and I worry about the kicking game. I believe in the first 3 games extra points were missed, as well as a couple of chip shot field goals.

Freshman Kicker, so you never really know what you are going to get. He is the only Freshman on the varsity team, but the kid does have a leg. Erie is ranked #96 in the country while ED's is currently #37 (1 guys opinion). Mentor who beat Ed's last week is currently at #28, however they will most likely play ED's again in the Ohio Playoffs. I do think this years game will be closer, however I'm just not sure Erie has enough horses in the stable.

How do you think this CP teams compares to the previous 3 state champs?
The 2016 and 2017 teams had more impact players. The QB Joe Mischler, coaches son, had a great arm and was accurate, now at Ohio U, Mac Conference, their backup QB. Had a wide out deep threat with great hands. Multiple D-1 players on defense. In 2017 closest game was a 10 point win.

This team is much closer to the 2018 team, QB has good mobility and decent arm. Running game has been solid, defense has really nice closing speed. I was pretty shocked the '18 team won states, see papride post above on the 2018 team , good summary. This years team is very good but doesnt have the impact players of 2017 and 2016. I think they could 4 peat, but dont know if they have enough to beat Eds this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT