ADVERTISEMENT

Capital Christian

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
FYI heads up...the Capital Christian team takes a knee at the national anthem. The Washington County officials updated local officials here to be prepared for it as CCA took a knee when they played at Hancock 2 weeks ago, which led to boos and a small scene.

I suppose it will be the same this Saturday. Folks up here not used to it so I anticipate the same reaction on maybe a bigger scale. Although I don't see many people attending this one.

Personally, I don't care if CCA does take a knee and I don't care if fans boo. Play ball.

You know.... nothing wrong with giving the starters some full game experience regardless of the score. And... work on the passing game a little even if you have a running clock. As they say, its up to the other team to stop you. I'm expecting at least 70 points from Big Red.

Didn't we see some of this last yr. at Greenway?

If there, I would get up and walk out. And, if Alco or FH continued to schedule teams that did this... just wouldn't go back. If I were in charge of scheduling the games I would ask if anyone on your team takes a knee. If they said yes, it would be, "Sorry, we don't expose our fans to that."

Well, that is unless Cumberland has changed in that they welcome such behavior. Or, the schools accept it and want to condition the locals to accept it. I would not be surprised in that case since the entire educational system has flipped on its ear in one generation.

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502
giphy.gif

Aren't you the middle-school-girl-in-the-restroom-was-asking-for-it guy? Pretty sure that was you. We don't get a lot of tacky gifs in this forum in lieu of an actual post. Is that supposed to be you? You're frustrated that you can't kneel because you're behind a desk?

I do not remember this happening at Greenway or locally ever

The main reason I keep going back is tradition, which includes respectfulness. This is particularly turnkey for FH, what with the band and fans backing up what is going on down on the field. Bringing in some in-your-face teams to crap all over the pregame ceremonies is.... well, it is actually up to the locals to cave or - as they say - nip it in the bud.

Seems to me too that every season we get posts regarding 'the gate' and one might ask themselves if this kind of disrespect to local sensibilities would impact attendance.

Last edited:
Aren't you the middle-school-girl-in-the-restroom-was-asking-for-it guy? Pretty sure that was you. We don't get a lot of tacky gifs in this forum in lieu of an actual post. Is that supposed to be you? You're frustrated that you can't kneel because you're behind a desk?

I am Damon Anderson aka Nomad aka the MoCo Football guy.

The gif is of Dana Carvey's SNL character "Grumpy Old Man" from the early 90's. Who would always let people know what he would do in every situation and how things have changed from his day.

I dont think its tacky at all. Seems rather appropriate.

I am Damon Anderson aka Nomad aka the MoCo Football guy.

The gif is of Dana Carvey's SNL character "Grumpy Old Man" from the early 90's. Who would always let people know what he would do in every situation and how things have changed from his day.

I dont think its tacky at all. Seems rather appropriate.

What is your situation from-a-day that a 'MoCo' fellow would feel triggered into a WMD forum. You seldom, if ever, post here so you are the emotionally motivated person. What's your beef? As my older relatives used to say, "What got your dander up?" Out of nowhere you meme your way into a thread that reflects no age specifics in regards to a FH game at Greenway... ever been to one? See all the hands over hearts young and old? State your problem. We are generally specific around here.

Lag please don't act like all FH fans are the epitome of class and respect. From the few that get drunk before and during every game to the ones sitting and standing screaming obscenities all game long to the multiple reports of fans and players using racial slurs. Those kids have a right to be respectful and kneel just as much as you have a right not to like it. Won't bother me one way or the other, football will be played, FH will get an easy win, and nobody's life here will be affected one way or the other.

This is a HS football forum. HS football is my passion/hobby. Since this is a HS football forum. I can comment however I wish as long as i don't violate the terms of service set forth by Rivals (Yahoo).

Yes, I've been to Greenway.....twice. Once in '90 again in '92. Hands over hearts at a sporting event isn't anything special. A DD214 however is special. And based off of my amateur survey, most people with DD214 could care less what people do at a game. We do care about how many people volunteer and donate to the VA. Which should be a ton of people if you go off of the anthem debate. Unfortunately the numbers don't add up.

Last edited:
Lag please don't act like all FH fans are the epitome of class and respect. From the few that get drunk before and during every game to the ones sitting and standing screaming obscenities all game long to the multiple reports of fans and players using racial slurs. Those kids have a right to be respectful and kneel just as much as you have a right not to like it. Won't bother me one way or the other, football will be played, FH will get an easy win, and nobody's life here will be affected one way or the other.

"....drunk before and during every game to the ones sitting and standing screaming obscenities all game long to the multiple reports of fans and players using racial slurs..." - As has happened many times in the past, I probably will be the only one defending FH: but here it is: I have never witnessed any of what you claim.

And, I guess I can further say that "respectful and kneel" is an oxymoron. It is the quintessence of disrespect. Furthermore, they are on a school activity which usually frowns on disruptive behavior; however, the booing this team receives is music to their ears because it is their real goal. They get away with it because the school condones and supports it. So, it is not the individual athletes right, no more than you protesting on the job is a right; it is the promoted position of the school... no doubt hiding behind folks ignorance of what a true Constitutional Right is.

This is a HS football forum. HS football is my passion/hobby. Since this is a HS football forum. I can comment however I wish as long as i don't violate the terms of service set forth by Rivals (Yahoo).

Yes, I've been to Greenway.....twice. Once in '90 again in '92. Hands over hearts at a sporting event isn't anything special. A DD214 however is special. And based off of my amateur survey, most people with DD214 could care less what people do at a game. We do care about how many people volunteer and donate to the VA. Which should be a ton of people if you go off of the anthem debate. Unfortunately the numbers don't add up.

Had you just posted this instead of the meme you could have gotten this answer: ..... (No response at all)...

It was a gif, not a meme.

Dictionary.com
MEME
a cultural item in the form of an image, video, phrase, etc., that is spread via the Internet and often altered in a creative or humorous way.

Your humorously repetitive gif is exactly what a meme is.

Last edited:
If our goal is to change the minds and hearts of these young men; I don’t think a crowd of 95% white people booing them will be helpful. As Paul wrote Timothy, I suggest to the Fort Hill fans, “Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." (1 Timothy 4:12.) Let them see our honor and respect for the flag and anthem, then let them see our love and respect for them; our brothers in Christ. If we do otherwise, we’re only serving those that hope for continued division. Be one.

they are free to kneel if their School administration allows it but the fans and people in Cumberland are also free to Boo and yell whatever they want as well. It could be a very ugly scene for sure

Reactions: Lagmeister
If our goal is to change the minds and hearts of these young men; I don’t think a crowd of 95% white people booing them will be helpful. As Paul wrote Timothy, I suggest to the Fort Hill fans, “Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." (1 Timothy 4:12.) Let them see our honor and respect for the flag and anthem, then let them see our love and respect for them; our brothers in Christ. If we do otherwise, we’re only serving those that hope for continued division. Be one.

Ultimate pure of spirit is to sell everything we have, give the money to the poor, and follow Christ. I don't think any of us are lining up for that. In fact, a little righteous, moral indignation is sometimes appropriate.

And from the beginning, I hold the problem only to future scheduling. Don't schedule teams that kneel or go the other way and schedule as many teams as possible that kneel just so we can show them our degree of solemnity.... we can turn the other cheek by handing out small flags and lighter fluid so they can kneel and burn the flags during the Anthem.

In any case, any reaction other than future scheduling is futile for this game - except dropping 70 points on them. Until you bury them in scores, they'll be laughing in the huddle. If you think high school athletes on the field are going to get a lesson from folks being solemn, then - as much as I would like to think so - you're being totally naive.

Last edited:
they are free to kneel if their School administration allows it but the fans and people in Cumberland are also free to Boo and yell whatever they want as well. It could be a very ugly scene for sure

Run up the score (Dunbar DC dropped 50 on 'em... right?) and don't schedule them or any other team that you know will kneel. Really simple. Local folks will let their feelings known. If teams like this keep showing up.... well, ask yourself if the almighty gate returns do not dwindle.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
If there, I would get up and walk out. And, if Alco or FH continued to schedule teams that did this... just wouldn't go back. If I were in charge of scheduling the games I would ask if anyone on your team takes a knee. If they said yes, it would be, "Sorry, we don't expose our fans to that."

Well, that is unless Cumberland has changed in that they welcome such behavior. Or, the schools accept it and want to condition the locals to accept it. I would not be surprised in that case since the entire educational system has flipped on its ear in one generation.

You haven't really come back anyway, and if you are going to take your politics out on high school kids, no one wants you to come back anyway.

If you are that offended by free speech and the constitution, we really dont want to expose the kids to your kind. Keep it between you and the media that does your thinking for you.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
And, I guess I can further say that "respectful and kneel" is an oxymoron. It is the quintessence of disrespect. Furthermore, they are on a school activity which usually frowns on disruptive behavior; however, the booing this team receives is music to their ears because it is their real goal. They get away with it because the school condones and supports it. So, it is not the individual athletes right, no more than you protesting on the job is a right; it is the promoted position of the school... no doubt hiding behind folks ignorance of what a true Constitutional Right is.

So people disrespect god every time they kneel to pray, or do you pack the goalposts into the moving van for that one?

Your little school/job comparison is one of your weakest points yet, but it does illustrate how you have to be given your opinion by the media. The government cant infringe on freedom of speech, public schools are government-run institutions, so public schools cant infringe on freedom of speech.

Its really quite simple. If you understand the law.

FYI heads up...the Capital Christian team takes a knee at the national anthem. The Washington County officials updated local officials here to be prepared for it as CCA took a knee when they played at Hancock 2 weeks ago, which led to boos and a small scene.

I suppose it will be the same this Saturday. Folks up here not used to it so I anticipate the same reaction on maybe a bigger scale. Although I don't see many people attending this one.

Personally, I don't care if CCA does take a knee and I don't care if fans boo. Play ball.

Honestly if you boo high school athletes, you have a mental illness.

The main reason I keep going back is tradition, which includes respectfulness. This is particularly turnkey for FH, what with the band and fans backing up what is going on down on the field. Bringing in some in-your-face teams to crap all over the pregame ceremonies is.... well, it is actually up to the locals to cave or - as they say - nip it in the bud.

Seems to me too that every season we get posts regarding 'the gate' and one might ask themselves if this kind of disrespect to local sensibilities would impact attendance.
It used to be tradition that only white kids could play, or that no one threw the ball. Or no playoffs.

Why isn't it disrespectful to you when FH and Alco leave the field right before the anthem is played, only to come back out after it's done playing?

At least by kneeling, they are respectful enough to he there. The local schools dont do that.

If tradition is the only thing keeping you doing something (especially when you have to be told what the traditions are, and what is disrespectful from someone else), you really need to evaluate how much you really want to do it.

“Repay no one evil for evil, but to the wrath of God, for it is written, Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”-Romans 12:17-21

Be cool y’all. We’re talking about 15-18 year olds. You will influence them. The question is; how? I bet most of these kids didn’t have as good a home life as many on here. Let’s show them a better way.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse

Let's be clear...this is not going to be a FH thing. The only reason we know about it is because it happened at Hancock 2 weeks ago and if Silver Oak does it Friday night vs. Alco, whatever fans are at the stadium will boo. It happens at every stadium where players take a knee. People have a right to kneel and people have the right to express they don't like it. People just seem so oversensitive today. I don't get society anymore and not sure I really want to. Like I said, I don't care if they kneel and I don't care if they boo. Move on and just play ball and respect one another. Me, I take my hat off and stand for the anthem. If you don't want to it's not my right to force it on you.

Although I will say...if the national anthem is so important to people that it can force outrage when a person doesn't respect it, why is it the only place we hear it in America is at sporting events? You don't hear it before school, before work, at church, on the radio, on the TV, etc.

Can someone please tell me where they hear the national anthem other than a sporting event? That's weird if you think about it.

Reactions: OneRing
WCBC used to play it everyday at 6:00 AM. Don't know if they still do it, these days this fat old semi-retired guy is sleeping in until 6:30.

This will be interesting to watch as most teams take advantage of being in the locker room until right before game time. I don't think that they have that ability at Hancock. If they choose to stay out, then it's a coaching decision. Then I'd have to ask why a coach would subject his kids to a clearly super sensitive situation such as this type of protest. To me it's like telling your children to stay drug free and then dropping them off at JFV playground to play unsupervised every evening.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Let's be clear...this is not going to be a FH thing. The only reason we know about it is because it happened at Hancock 2 weeks ago and if Silver Oak does it Friday night vs. Alco, whatever fans are at the stadium will boo. It happens at every stadium where players take a knee. People have a right to kneel and people have the right to express they don't like it. People just seem so oversensitive today. I don't get society anymore and not sure I really want to. Like I said, I don't care if they kneel and I don't care if they boo. Move on and just play ball and respect one another. Me, I take my hat off and stand for the anthem. If you don't want to it's not my right to force it on you.

Although I will say...if the national anthem is so important to people that it can force outrage when a person doesn't respect it, why is it the only place we hear it in America is at sporting events? You don't hear it before school, before work, at church, on the radio, on the TV, etc.

Can someone please tell me where they hear the national anthem other than a sporting event? That's weird if you think about it.

Thanks for taking off your hat and standing. That's being respectful. I must add that if I were to watch students take a knee during a school activity it wouldn't translate to ..."force outrage..." for me. I would simply feel disgusted that a school would permit it, because the students wouldn't do it otherwise. And, as posted before, I would more than likely leave the activity.

As to "...people have a right to kneel..." - well yes, high school students can protest during a school activity as long as it is an approved protest, not totally different from... say... the national anti-gun walkout a while back. (As I recall, an Ohio student got suspended for staying in the classroom.)

Once again, there is no Constitutional Right for K-12 students to stage a non-approved protest during school activities. If there were, then one or more members of the FH band could be within their right to suddenly decide to take a knee and refuse to play the FH 'fight song' because - in their mind - it celebrates male patriarchy.

WCBC used to play it everyday at 6:00 AM. Don't know if they still do it, these days this fat old semi-retired guy is sleeping in until 6:30.

This will be interesting to watch as most teams take advantage of being in the locker room until right before game time. I don't think that they have that ability at Hancock. If they choose to stay out, then it's a coaching decision. Then I'd have to ask why a coach would subject his kids to a clearly super sensitive situation such as this type of protest. To me it's like telling your children to stay drug free and then dropping them off at JFV playground to play unsupervised every evening.

It's an approved protest by the school; otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Honestly if you boo high school athletes, you have a mental illness.

Agreed, lol. If you step back and look at it - it's really silly. You have adults booing 16 and 17 year old kids, lol. If you care enough to boo wouldn't it be better to use that same energy to set up a forum with both schools where the kids could debate this topic in a structured environment? I personally always stand and remove my cap during the anthem like my father taught me and the way I teach my son to do, but I actually like that the CCA kids are socially and politically aware. When you are young you are supposed to push societal norms. If a few CCA kids kneel it's OK, and it's also OK if people boo them, that's actually the response they are looking for any way. As long as the verbal response is limited to boos and no other ugly language or physical confrontation takes place.

Reactions: OneRing
That's the point Boyz, where does it stop? We now have conservatives who can't take their families out to eat. According to you, these protesters who drive them away are only expressing themselves. What you are saying is that it's ok for one group to express themselves but other groups need to shut up. If those kids can kneel, why can't an adult go down on the field and rag on the head coach for the entire game? It's all a protest.

I believe that there is a time and a place for everything. A high School football game is not the place for a political debate. Shame on anyone who brings political forums into this setting, and if they do, maybe Fort Hill should find another "rent-a-win" to give $3,000 to next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT