ADVERTISEMENT

Campers and Rebels scrimmage in Hagerstown.

Except for a little rain on the South side of Hagerstown, it was a good evening for the Lil Campers and Varsity. Early jitters and off timing was over come in second half. Better speed than expected and the biggest thing was "NO INJURIES!"

See all the details at http://www.eteamz.com/bigbluereview

Thanks for the update, read the details. From last year it did look like Allegany, once again, would be able to pass the football and still have a couple backs with respectable speed outside and power inside. As always it's the line and the defense. Maybe we will be at least competitive.

It's really a shame that Md rules are not more like WV rules in regards to JV and Varsity play during weekly games. It would really help out small schools especially to be able to play JV 6 quarters a week rather than the way it is now in Md that if a JV player plays in the JV game that week, he is ineligible to play any snaps in the varsity game that week. It's doubtful they would be used much, but it would be nice to have that safety valve at certain positions when an injury occurred. When you have 23, there is very little depth at ANY position.

I would have the Alco JV dress for all varsity games with 23 bodies.

You make a very good point about the number of players Alco is potentially dressing for games. I would like a little more information, if Jailerman can find out, just how many are really on varsity. His page has way over 30 listed on the roster.

One thing I did notice is Jailerman's recap of last year's SH scrimmage versus this year's. Last year he left with Alco up 3 - 1 and this year Alco down 3 - 2. Both teams, this year and last year, suffered from not hitting open running lanes early while last year's team was noted as being penalty prone. Surprisingly, at least to me, this year's team was mentioned for its outside running attack while last year's team did not get any special mention.... (ugh, we did have Robinette).

Whatever, I can't thank Jailerman enough for literally being the sole Alco eyes.

I think Allegany's varsity roster is made up of 25 or 26 kids

Thank you. I was referring to Jailerman's net publications as the sole set of eyes.

In looking at last year's JV information on Jailerman's page, Matt Fuzie looks to be quite the talent carrying the ball.

Thank you. I was referring to Jailerman's net publications as the sole set of eyes.

In looking at last year's JV information on Jailerman's page, Matt Fuzie looks to be quite the talent carrying the ball.

One might ask, can he be stopped?
The next Robinette in the making?

Well fellows, from my prospective, the Campers will have a decent running game. Shambaugh, Swinton, Wingate, Welch and Fuzie all got several reps during the scrimmage. I also heard people talking about Trevon Powell getting some reps. However, I was not aware of his jersey number...so I didn't pick him out.
I was impressed with the O & D lines after the first two sets between the two teams. The trap holes started to open up both in the middle and on the corners. On Defense, they started stopping the dive and had enough speed to prevent the off tackle outside end stuff. Only real problem may be pass defense. Seen to many under short passes completed.
The QB Bauer has a strong arm and a nice touch. Completed several tough passes with a easy touch. That young man can run well too!
The running game is there for sure. The line play will come with more reps on both sides.
As far as JV goes, expect several...up to possibly 5 to come up on the Varsity. This Friday against Smithsburg will be interesting to watch... :) As far as the roster on the web page... that was simply taking last years Jr's and adding the JV members from last year to get names and numbers out there. A true roster will be posted probably right after the Smithsburg scrimmage... Just be a little more patient guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagmeister
Well fellows, from my prospective, the Campers will have a decent running game. Shambaugh, Swinton, Wingate, Welch and Fuzie all got several reps during the scrimmage. I also heard people talking about Trevon Powell getting some reps. However, I was not aware of his jersey number...so I didn't pick him out.
I was impressed with the O & D lines after the first two sets between the two teams. The trap holes started to open up both in the middle and on the corners. On Defense, they started stopping the dive and had enough speed to prevent the off tackle outside end stuff. Only real problem may be pass defense. Seen to many under short passes completed.
The QB Bauer has a strong arm and a nice touch. Completed several tough passes with a easy touch. That young man can run well too!
The running game is there for sure. The line play will come with more reps on both sides.
As far as JV goes, expect several...up to possibly 5 to come up on the Varsity. This Friday against Smithsburg will be interesting to watch... :) As far as the roster on the web page... that was simply taking last years Jr's and adding the JV members from last year to get names and numbers out there. A true roster will be posted probably right after the Smithsburg scrimmage... Just be a little more patient guys.

I am posting more to you this year because I want to let you know that as a grad and a fan I constantly check your page and appreciate everything you do to keep the Alco football spirit alive!!!

Both the Alco and FH JV used to dress for varsity games all the time. Even away games. They still practiced and played games as a JV team, just dressed up for Friday night.

It's the same thing coaches do when they list a 5'10, 185 lb kid on the roster as 6'0, 200 lb. They all do it for perception purposes.

Last edited:
Both the Alco and FH JV used to dress for varsity games all the time. Even away games. They still practiced and played games as a JV team, just dressed up for Friday night.

It's the same thing coaches do when they list a 5'10, 185 lb kid on the roster as 6'0, 200 lb. They all do it for perception purposes.

I'm with you on this. Same thing as the band being there. School spirit.

They usually go anyway and run around in street clothes. They might as well dress be a part of the team and learn.

What is the rule? If you played on Monday in the JV game can you dress Friday for the varsity game if you don't go in the game

What is the rule? If you played on Monday in the JV game can you dress Friday for the varsity game if you don't go in the game
Not in Maryland. One play in a Jv game means a game played. In
Yes you can dress but why. I wouldn't worry about how many kids were on the sidelines, you can only play 11 at a time

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Not in Maryland. One play in a Jv game means a game played. In

Yes you can dress but why. I wouldn't worry about how many kids were on the sidelines, you can only play 11 at a time
Simply for intimidation..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT