ADVERTISEMENT

BW to join national conference

loco09

All County Poster
Jul 11, 2018
I know this is technically a football forum but thought this was exciting enough to share. Apparently this has been in the works and is not just for this year but a long term deal. It's all Nike Elite schools from what I can tell, hopefully if they aren't broadcast nationally commercial video or Allegany media can broadcast these games if it all pans out.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
I know this is technically a football forum but thought this was exciting enough to share. Apparently this has been in the works and is not just for this year but a long term deal. It's all Nike Elite schools from what I can tell, hopefully if they aren't broadcast nationally commercial video or Allegany media can broadcast these games if it all pans out.

Yeah, I've been hearing about this development for a while. Evidently, because of the distance between the schools, they are going to play at regional locations for tournament style games. I guess kind of like having an ACIT once a month or so. It's going to be interesting to see how it works out. It could be something they continue even after the pandemic.

Yeah, I've been hearing about this development for a while. Evidently, because of the distance between the schools, they are going to play at regional locations for tournament style games. I guess kind of like having an ACIT once a month or so. It's going to be interesting to see how it works out. It could be something they continue even after the pandemic.
That's my understanding as well, they will meet at events and play instead of doing home and homes. There will also be a conference tournament at the end of the year I believe in Indiana. It gives BW something extra to play for and helps with scheduling a little. I'd still like to see them in the wcac or bcl but I doubt they'd want just the boys basketball program and it would be too costly and bw wouldn't be consistently competitive in most other sports

That's my understanding as well, they will meet at events and play instead of doing home and homes. There will also be a conference tournament at the end of the year I believe in Indiana. It gives BW something extra to play for and helps with scheduling a little. I'd still like to see them in the wcac or bcl but I doubt they'd want just the boys basketball program and it would be too costly and bw wouldn't be consistently competitive in most other sports

Even if the WCAC or BCL would accept just the Boys Basketball team I think it would be too restrictive for what Prete is doing at BW. Does BW really want to play St Mary and Bishop Ireton twice a year?

It would be more restrictive, it would help with scheduling and give them more home games but Prete seems to want to compete with the top preps in the country and not just be a good regional team

I am not sure how the postponement will impact basketball but I understand the new league to be somewhat of a "bubble" in the sense that there will be strict guidelines WRT COVID protocols teams must follow to be allowed to play. I hear some games may be at KD's place in VA: The St James. Unclear at this point if fans/media will be able to attend. However, my guess is that based on all the other major tournaments (except the ACIT at this point) being cancelled, media outlets will happily cover games wherever they are being played. I would expect BW to have some national media exposure, especially if the matchup is with a national power like Montverde.

Just curious, is BW even practicing basketball now with COVID so wide spread in the community?

Whether they a practicing or not, idk yet. However, they are scheduled to play Oak Hill on January 7.

Next Friday January 8, BW will be playing Monteverde Academy the #1 team in the Nation in VA. January 17, Bishop Walsh is scheduled to be on ESPN 3 against Legacy Early College.

A high school basketball bubble of sorts, The St. James NIBC Invitational has announced the schedule for 11 days of competition next month. Twelve nationally-ranked teams – including seven of the top 10 teams in MaxPreps Top 25 – are slated to take the floor at The St. James Sports, Wellness and Entertainment Complex in Springfield, Va.

No. 1 Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.), No. 2 IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) and No. 3 Sunrise Christian Academy (Bel Aire, Kan.) will all participate in what is also being billed as The St. James Super League. The event will ultimately feature 20 matchups between ranked teams, including Montverde Academy facing Sunrise Christian Academy on Jan. 9 and No. 2 IMG Academy on Saturday, Jan. 17 in a game set to air on ESPN.

Other ranked teams set to compete include No. 4 Paul VI (Chantilly, Va.), No. 5 DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.), No. 9 Legacy Early College (Greenville, S.C.), No. 10 La Lumiere (La Porte, Ind.), No. 11 Wasatch Academy (Mt. Pleasant, Utah), No. 13 Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.), No. 15 AZ Compass Prep (Chandler, Ariz.), No. 17 St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, Md.) and No. 22 Marshall (Richmond, Va.).

Seven other games are scheduled to air on the ESPN family of networks. See the complete schedule below.

Friday, Jan. 8, 2021
1:45 p.m. – Wasatch Academy (Mt. Pleasant, Utah) vs. La Lumiere (La Porte, Ind.)
3:30 p.m. – Bishop Walsh (Cumberland, Md.) vs. Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.)
5:15 p.m. – Sunrise Christian (Bel Aire, Kan.) vs. Hamilton Heights Christian (Tenn.)
7 p.m. – Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.) vs. Legacy Early College (S.C.)

Saturday, Jan. 9
1:45 p.m. – La Lumiere vs. Bishop Walsh
3:30 p.m. – Legacy Early College vs. Hamilton Heights Christian Academy
5:15 p.m. – Wasatch Academy vs. Oak Hill Academy
7 p.m. – Montverde Academy vs. Sunrise Christian Academy

Sunday, Jan. 10
Noon – Bishop Walsh vs. Wasatch Academy
1:45 p.m. – Hamilton Heights Christian Academy vs. Oak Hill Academy
3:30 p.m. – La Lumiere vs. Montverde Academy
5:15 p.m. – Sunrise Christian Academy vs. Legacy Early College

Tuesday, Jan. 12
1:45 p.m. – Wasatch Academy vs. Sunrise Christian Academy
3:30 p.m. – Oak Hill Academy vs. Bishop Walsh
5:15 p.m. – Montverde Academy vs. Legacy Early College
7 p.m. – Hamilton Heights Christian Academy vs. La Lumiere

Friday, Jan. 15
1:45 p.m. – Bishop Walsh vs. Hamilton Heights Christian Academy
3:30 p.m. – Legacy Early College vs. Wasatch Academy
5:15 p.m. – La Lumiere vs. Sunrise Christian Academy
7 p.m. – Oak Hill Academy vs. Montverde Academy
8:45 p.m. – Westtown (West Chester, Pa.) vs. IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)

Saturday, Jan. 16
1:45 p.m. – Hamilton Heights Christian Academy vs. Wasatch Academy
3:30 p.m. – iSchool (Lewisville, Texas) vs. St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, Md.)
5:15 p.m. – Westtown vs. AZ Compass Prep (Chandler, Ariz.)
7 p.m. – Marshall (Richmond, Va.) vs. DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.)

Sunday, Jan. 17
11 a.m. – St. Frances Academy vs. Marshall
1:30 p.m. – Legacy Early College vs. Bishop Walsh, ESPN3
3:30 p.m. – La Lumiere vs. Oak Hill Academy, ESPN3
5:30 p.m. – AZ Compass Prep vs. Sunrise Christian Academy, ESPN3
7:30 p.m. – Montverde Academy vs. IMG Academy, ESPN

Monday, Jan. 18, 2021
9 a.m. – DeMatha vs. St. Frances Academy
11 a.m. – La Lumiere School vs. Legacy Early College, ESPNU
1 p.m. – Oak Hill Academy vs. iSchool of Lewisville, ESPNU
3 p.m. –Sunrise Christian Academy vs. IMG Academy, ESPNU
5 p.m. – Wasatch Academy vs. Montverde Academy, ESPNU
6:45 p.m. – Paul VI (Chantilly, Va.) vs. Westtown

Bishop Walsh Basketball to Open Season With Crazy Schedule

Jan 8th vs #1 in Nation Montverde Academy (Montverde, Fla.)
Jan 9th vs #10 in Nation La Lumiere (La Porte, Ind.)
Jan 10th vs #11 in Nation Wasatch Academy (Mt. Pleasant, Utah)
Jan 12th vs #13 in Nation Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.)
Jan 15th vs Hamilton Heights Christian (Tenn.)
Jan 17th vs #9 in Nation Legacy Early College (Greenville, S.C.)

BW's program certainly is not shying away from competition. Right out of the gate taking on the reigning national champions! The games are streaming. $20 per game or $50 per day, if not on ESPN.

BW loses 77-39, though they were just down 10 at the half.

Yeah, they competed against superior size and talent. Montverde’s Jalen Duren is the #2 national player in his class and he dominated in the post.

It was good to see Mikey Allen come off the bench and play well in his first varsity action with the A team

Watching the game a few things come to mind:

1) Size. Mentioned earlier, the size of Jalen Duren was pretty incredible. Height wise, Mady matched up but he gave up about 50lbs on Jalen.

2) Depth. Montverde has a much deeper roster than most programs and it showed. They ran a full court press most of the game and were able to rest their players enough to keep pushing the pace the entire game.

3) Length. Montverde has plenty of it. Passing lanes were non-existent and this led to a HIGH number of turnovers, particularly in the 3rd quarter.

All that being said, I think BW was like 11-37 from the field whereas Montverde was closer to 60%. I wasn't keeping stats but I would bet MOST of the point Montverde put up in the 2nd half came off BW turnovers.

Keep in mind, this was BWs first game of the season and Montverde has played nearly a dozen times coming into yesterday.

Overall, I was happy to see BW keep up for the first half. Keeping those turnovers down would have kept the score much closer. But the inability to get into the paint left the Spartans with long range shots only. Team still seems to need a bit of time to mesh on the court. This experience will benefit BW going forward and I think they will win some games in this league.

Lastly, it was great to see Mikey get in the game. He has a future and his talent development is evident.

BW played LaLumiere tough in the first half but came out really slow in the 3rd quarter. I don’t think they even scored until about 2 min were left in the quarter.

BW bounced back in the 4th and played hard to the end, they cut the lead to 3 late in the game. The guard Habib had an off night. If he hits anything BW probably wins this game.

Overall good showing because LaLu is the 10th ranked team in the country but Prete won’t be happy not getting the win

BW loses by 10 to Wasatch but they were in the game to the end. They actually led late in the 3rd quarter. BW is 0-3 so far in the tournament but remember they have played three Top 20 nationally ranked squads so far. Miller played one of the best games I’ve seen him play today

Reactions: otnorot
BW added a 4th loss to Oak Hill, 54-39. Still, BW was in the game early against one of the better Oak Hill teams. Overall they are 0-4 with another (very winnable) game against Hamilton Heights on Friday and then against LCA on Sunday. I think the latter will be on ESPN 3. Even if BW comes out of this 0-6, they certainly can't be faulted for taking on the top 25 early and often. I would expect much different results later in the year when the teams all meet again.

BW drops a good game 62-52 to Hamilton Heights. BW lead by 13 points early but Hamilton was a significantly bigger team and used their size to mount a spirited come back when BW went cold from the outside.

BW gets their first win of the NBIC 70-58 of #25 Legacy Early College. This is also BW’s first win over a top #25 team. Should see more of these the next time the NBIC gets together. BW was firing on all cylinders today and it showed. Habib and Miller were dominant.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT