ADVERTISEMENT

Breven Stubbs to UMD?

BoyznBlue

Franchise Poster
Sep 18, 2007
Breven Stubbs has received an offer from UMD. WVU will probably not be far behind.

I cannot remember the last time a football player from Cumberland was offered before his junior season. That's awesome.

That's what a sub 4.4 forty yard dash will do. He also has grown about 3". Very elusive on the field and the best lock down corner I have seen at FH. And only as a sophomore last year. He still has much to learn, which is even more exciting.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
I cannot remember the last time a football player from Cumberland was offered before his junior season. That's awesome.

That's what a sub 4.4 forty yard dash will do. He also has grown about 3". Very elusive on the field and the best lock down corner I have seen at FH. And only as a sophomore last year. He still has much to learn, which is even more exciting.

Awesome news for Brevan. Other P5 programs will likely follow suit. Would love to see him play in Morgantown. I just watched his highlight film from last year, he's head and shoulders above every kid and team he lined up against on that film.

Rumors that y'all are scrapping the traditional offense and having Stubbs play QB in a new look. Any truth to that?

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Awesome news for Brevan. Other P5 programs will likely follow suit. Would love to see him play in Morgantown. I just watched his highlight film from last year, he's head and shoulders above every kid and team he lined up against on that film.

Rumors that y'all are scrapping the traditional offense and having Stubbs play QB in a new look. Any truth to that?

He runs with the football. If you are a ball carrier, playing at FH is a dream job. That is all.

There were about 4-5 plays last year where Stubbs ran a version of the wildcat. Even threw it I think on one or two attempts. I would imagine there will be an ungodly amount of plays in the playbook designed to get the ball in his hands any way possible.

He runs with the football. If you are a ball carrier, playing at FH is a dream job. That is all.

There were about 4-5 plays last year where Stubbs ran a version of the wildcat. Even threw it I think on one or two attempts. I would imagine there will be an ungodly amount of plays in the playbook designed to get the ball in his hands any way possible.

Thank God.. I would've really started to think Appel was losing it if that were the case.

Stubbs could be a 2k yard back if they rode him hard enough, but it'd be nice to see him used as the multi-dimensional threat that he is rather than just 30+ carries a game. Definitely going to be fun to watch.

Reactions: RedPride97

The Stubbs playing QB this fall rumor is real hot right now, but I asked a member of the staff and they said it's not going to happen. They basically said what you said and he will be used in that capacity for some plays.

And you're right, he's grown about 3 inches, and if you look at his age and his father's build he's probably going to add a few more inches by senior year.

The Stubbs playing QB this fall rumor is real hot right now, but I asked a member of the staff and they said it's not going to happen. They basically said what you said and he will be used in that capacity for some plays.

And you're right, he's grown about 3 inches, and if you look at his age and his father's build he's probably going to add a few more inches by senior year.

He's definitely going to get bigger and stronger.

I caught up with a friend of mine who's a coach at another P5 program, and he had some interesting things to say. To summarize:

- It's obvious to him that the tape only included plays against certain teams. It's a lot easier to get the edge on Mountain Ridge or Silver Oak than on the prep school from PA or Catoctin. He also said "That's small-town football, though. And we realize that."

- Stubbs is definitely not an "I-back" down hill type of runner. You're not lining him up to run Iso. He's an open-space playmaker. RB/WR/Slot/Returner all day, which is good because that's today's game.

- To the first point above, he told me they're going to be heavily evaluating him this year (like they do all kids) on his bad games and games against FH's top opponents. They know he's a good player, but now they're trying to project his ability at the D1 level against players and programs that are consistently good.

- Final point is, they really like him and are probably going to offer. No timeline given, because they don't give that away and the board is always moving. But they love his natural playmaking ability, all of his speed/skill combo qualities and especially his vision and patience. He doesn't just run to run. He's decisive, but he sees the action unfolding in front of him very well and doesn't force anything. As a result, he rarely takes hits, especially in the open field. Those are qualities a kid has naturally and can't really learn.

So there's a quick evaluation from someone whose livelihood depends on it. I'd say Brevan's future is looking pretty good at this point.

He's definitely going to get bigger and stronger.

I caught up with a friend of mine who's a coach at another P5 program, and he had some interesting things to say. To summarize:

- It's obvious to him that the tape only included plays against certain teams. It's a lot easier to get the edge on Mountain Ridge or Silver Oak than on the prep school from PA or Catoctin. He also said "That's small-town football, though. And we realize that."

- Stubbs is definitely not an "I-back" down hill type of runner. You're not lining him up to run Iso. He's an open-space playmaker. RB/WR/Slot/Returner all day, which is good because that's today's game.

- To the first point above, he told me they're going to be heavily evaluating him this year (like they do all kids) on his bad games and games against FH's top opponents. They know he's a good player, but now they're trying to project his ability at the D1 level against players and programs that are consistently good.

- Final point is, they really like him and are probably going to offer. No timeline given, because they don't give that away and the board is always moving. But they love his natural playmaking ability, all of his speed/skill combo qualities and especially his vision and patience. He doesn't just run to run. He's decisive, but he sees the action unfolding in front of him very well and doesn't force anything. As a result, he rarely takes hits, especially in the open field. Those are qualities a kid has naturally and can't really learn.

So there's a quick evaluation from someone whose livelihood depends on it. I'd say Brevan's future is looking pretty good at this point.

The true evaluation of a kid isn't weighted on film and against the best teams. Individual match ups yes. I can watch a DT go against an OT and quickly tell you who is better. But I cannot take a RB and do the same if there is no blocking or if the other team is bad and the holes are huge. I too, would like to see how players like Breven match up against better comp, but only if he has better comp on his side of the ball. You can't line him up as a ball carrier against Cathedral Prep and say this is his test any more than you can line him up against Silver Oak and say this is his test. Now you can watch his cover skills despite the fact Cathedral has 45 seconds to throw the ball if they wish.

Top level D1 has the finances to put an athlete through the testing and evaluation mill. Levels below that do not - and I see it over and over. I have worked with so many recruits who were passed over in favor of a walking pillow. Even at the D1 level. Simply because of the process and other factors I won't get into.

What a coach who glimpsed at his highlights likely missed was his cover skills. The foot work, the fluid hips, the body control, but most important his natural ability to cover with his head looking at the ball.

Take it from a person who had to deal with coaches, they have their ways and who they know. But their evaluations are many times as valuable as the Cleveland Browns scouting office. They don't know, so they roll the dice with size and speed and familiarity with someone.

Last edited:
The true evaluation of a kid isn't weighted on film and against the best teams. Individual match ups yes. I can watch a DT go against an OT and quickly tell you who is better. But I cannot take a RB and do the same if there is no blocking or if the other team is bad and the holes are huge. I too, would like to see how players like Breven match up against better comp, but only if he has better comp on his side of the ball. You can't line him up as a ball carrier against Cathedral Prep and say this is his test any more than you can line him up against Silver Oak and say this is his test. Now you can watch his cover skills despite the fact Cathedral has 45 seconds to throw the ball if they wish.

Top level D1 has the finances to put an athlete through the testing and evaluation mill. Levels below that do not - and I see it over and over. I have worked with so many recruits who were passed over in favor of a walking pillow. Even at the D1 level. Simply because of the process and other factors I won't get into.

What a coach who glimpsed at his highlights likely missed was his cover skills. The foot work, the fluid hips, the body control, but most important his natural ability to cover with his head looking at the ball.

Take it from a person who had to deal with coaches, they have their ways and who they know. But their evaluations are many times as valuable as the Cleveland Browns scouting office. They don't know, so they roll the dice with size and speed and familiarity with someone.

A lot of truths there, Todd. He did mention he loves Brevan's hips and footwork as well, just didn't get to see a lot of defensive snaps, which we know is a product of opponents as well.

Reactions: TDHelmick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT