ADVERTISEMENT

Braddock Warriors need players

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
Braddock has 6 D1 and 8 D2 players. They need players by 9/13 to have a team. If you know anyone who would like to play contact Candace St Surin, Coach Papa

Last edited:
They were planning on having just a D1 team, but some of the parents of the 6 graders don’t want the kids playing D1

This may be the wrong thread for this comment but I'm going to put it up anyway. WIth football numbers at the high school and middle school level a bit down the cancellation or delay of this season could really hurt football. Many kids have moved on to travel baseball or basketball already.

I played football and loved it.I really enjoy youth and high school footbal but the kids I work with just don't seem to have the interest in football that I used to see. Some thoughts I have on why are:

1. Soccer in some areas has grown and many kids are choosing this over football
2. Many kids don't have parents or have parents who aren't willing or able to take them to practice
3. Some parents are too lazy to take their children to practice and games
4 Some kids are too lazy to play or do not like contact
5. Some kids have had enough of the never ending pee-wee games they endure in our area
6. Some parents have had enough of number 5 too.
7. Travel sports are pulling multi sport athletes away from other team sports at the middle and high school level.

Understand that I enjoy football and it made a difference in my life but I see some concerning trends.

Braddock now has a D2 and almost a D1 team just need a few more but will practice with what they have

Braddock voted twice not to play football this year. I wonder if it was about COVID or just a lack of players. I'm hoping it was not the later.

Yesterday morning they only had 6 D1 and 8 D2 players. Now they are putting both teams in a D1 and D2. After the season was originally canceled they didn’t think they would have the players. Yesterday and today kids reached out wanting to play. They are thin and young right now, but got 2 teams together.

Before the season folded there were 25 players signed up
Yea, the pee wee situation was kind of the same. The Hunters did not have the numbers. I can't remember what the numbers were for Cresaptown but was told they did not have an insurance policy when they voted to cancel the Pee Wee season.

There are currently 4 pee wee teams playing. Games started this past Saturday.
Frostburg
Southern
Frankfort
Keyser

The reasons the pee wee league folded were multiple from team to team:

Not enough players
No insurance policy
Fields taken away
Scheduling conflicts and difficulty
Inability to agree on a COVID plan

At one point before the final vote, Mineral and Hampshire Counties had to shut down all activities due to COVID. They ultimately resumed activities in time but it spelled the end of a possible season.

I wish some of the pee wee teams would have waited all this out like the 4 teams currently playing. Yes, things were changing almost daily during the crucial vote - they are still changing daily. If they would have just rode it out we might have had more teams. But due to the disorganization of the whole process, I can see where most coaches just said forget this year.

I have two grandsons that would have played for the Saints, but now play for Frostburg. Was at their first game this Saturday in the fog and mist of the Burg against Keyser. Sorry to report, but no one wore a mask other than coaches and concession workers who were mandated to do so. The 200 or so parents and families there had none.

Frostburg now play at Frankfort this week. Their policy is only 1 parent can attend. COVID policy varies from team to team. l won't be able to attend now. But I won't complain because at least the kids get to play a game and I'm thankful for that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT