ADVERTISEMENT

Best games every played at Greenway (not counting Homecoming)

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
What were the best (most exciting) three high school football games ever played at Greenway Avenue Stadium/Fort Hill Stadium in your lifetime, not counting Homecoming or the Turkey Day games? The list can include playoff games. This may be a better question for some of the older folks on here. You can only pick THREE games for each school. That can be tough.

ALLEGANY

FORT HILL

For those LaSalle/Bishop Walsh grads feel free to post those as well.

It's mid-January. Things are slow. I'm writing an article for the CTN Monthly Sports Mag and figured the best way to warm up Cumberland is with some out-of-season football chatter.

Growing up a South Cumberland native as a child, I have my own personal FH choices. Some help from the Alco contingent on local games of the past would be better served coming from those people who grew up wearing blue.

Fort Hill hands down is the victory over Melbourne Central, nothing comes close for me.

Allegany hands down you have to say the playoff victory over Elkton.

++++++++++++++++++

I know you said no Homecomings/Turkey Days, but:

I think, however, that if you're looking overall, you almost have to go with the 1994 Homecoming game, Undefeated versus undefeated, star power on both sides, both head coaches had a son playing, biggest crowd ever at the Stadium. The game may not have technically went down to the wire, but that game had it all and was Cumberland Football on display like no other, before or after.

For BW probably two of the more memorable games would be 1991 defeating Fort Hill 30-26, a down year for FH for sure at 4-6 but it was the last time BW would beat them.

The 1978 win vs Allegany 16-7, Allegany was handed their only loss of the season by BW and went on to win the Class B title that year but was the second besr team in the city.

Fort Hill hands down is the victory over Melbourne Central, nothing comes close for me.

Allegany hands down you have to say the playoff victory over Elkton.

++++++++++++++++++

I know you said no Homecomings/Turkey Days, but:

I think, however, that if you're looking overall, you almost have to go with the 1994 Homecoming game, Undefeated versus undefeated, star power on both sides, both head coaches had a son playing, biggest crowd ever at the Stadium. The game may not have technically went down to the wire, but that game had it all and was Cumberland Football on display like no other, before or after.

Melbourne CC sticks out to most people. Especially since it was so recent. I do remember the FH vs. Northwood 3A playoff game of 1975. FH won 33-27 in double OT. I was only 8 at the time but many of the old schoolers will tell you that was an amazing game.

I have a short list of my own but they are only from my lifetime, many obviously exist long before I was born. Some that jumped out at me without even looking up schedules for FH were the Damascus playoff loss of 1990, those games against the best Southern teams in Garrett County history with Calhoun vs. Woods (94 and 96). I would not easily dismiss the Lackey OT playoff game of two seasons ago. Some of the Martinsburg duels were crazy - so many of those. I truly do miss those Martinsburg Friday night duels of long ago, rushing home from elementary/junior high all jacked up, sigh. But that was then.

Wonder where the Alco win over Dunbar two seasons ago ranks with some of the Alco folks? Same year as the FH vs. Melbourne CC. Great games at Greenway in 2017.

Last edited:
Mcc perryville n Brunswick... I no two hurt.. but come on,they are down to the wire best games since 2000 easy...

Melbourne CC sticks out to most people. Especially since it was so recent. I do remember the FH vs. Northwood 3A playoff game of 1975. FH won 33-27 in double OT. I was only 8 at the time but many of the old schoolers will tell you that was an amazing game.

I have a short list of my own but they are only from my lifetime, many obviously exist long before I was born. Some that jumped out at me without even looking up schedules for FH were the Damascus playoff loss of 1990, those games against the best Southern teams in Garrett County history with Calhoun vs. Woods (94 and 96). I would not easily dismiss the Lackey OT playoff game of two seasons ago. Some of the Martinsburg duels were crazy - so many of those. I truly do miss those Martinsburg Friday night duels of long ago, rushing home from elementary/junior high all jacked up, sigh. But that was then.

Wonder where the Alco win over Dunbar two seasons ago ranks with some of the Alco folks? Same year as the FH vs. Melbourne CC. Great games at Greenway in 2017.

Was the FH - Northwood game played at the stadium? I thought that game was played in Gaithersburg - at a time when Gaithersburg still had farmland. :)

That was an awesome game. Northwood had two outstanding running backs (Bernstein and Weinstein), and I believe one of the two played linebacker, too.

To me, regardless of whether or not that game was played at the stadium, it was a great game that pitted a FH team with the likes of the late Steve Trimble, Lyle Peck, Randy Hillegas, Mike Hast, the late Chuck Spangler, "Hoot" Al Wilson, Bruce Metz, Wyatt Durst, etc. against a very strong and physical Northwood team. I believe at one time FH was down 14-0. That semi-final game was the 3A state championship game in '75.

In the end, one of the two outstanding backs for Northwood left the game early in the second half with a broken ankle or leg. To be honest, I'm not 100% certain FH would have won that game if he had not left the game. Allegedly, there is a long-standing story behind that, but who knows?

Was the FH - Northwood game played at the stadium? I thought that game was played in Gaithersburg - at a time when Gaithersburg still had farmland. :)

That was an awesome game. Northwood had two outstanding running backs (Bernstein and Weinstein), and I believe one of the two played linebacker, too.

To me, regardless of whether or not that game was played at the stadium, it was a great game that pitted a FH team with the likes of the late Steve Trimble, Lyle Peck, Randy Hillegas, Mike Hast, the late Chuck Spangler, "Hoot" Al Wilson, Bruce Metz, Wyatt Durst, etc. against a very strong and physical Northwood team. I believe at one time FH was down 14-0. That semi-final game was the 3A state championship game in '75.

In the end, one of the two outstanding backs for Northwood left the game early in the second half with a broken ankle or leg. To be honest, I'm not 100% certain FH would have won that game if he had not left the game. Allegedly, there is a long-standing story behind that, but who knows?

It was at Gaithersburg

Yes, I was corrected last night. The 1975 semifinal double OT game with Northwood was played in Gaithersburg. The 1974 semifinal game between the same two teams was the one I saw as a kid. I got them confused. The 74 game was awesome as well from what I recall. That one was at FH and it was the very first year the MD playoffs started. Northwood won 23-13.

For BW probably two of the more memorable games would be 1991 defeating Fort Hill 30-26, a down year for FH for sure at 4-6 but it was the last time BW would beat them.

The 1978 win vs Allegany 16-7, Allegany was handed their only loss of the season by BW and went on to win the Class B title that year but was the second besr team in the city.

I've heard from quite a few ole BW football guys via text and email about this thread (I'm ole too so it's OK to use that term LOL). That's awesome.

Others have also agreed with the 1978 BW win over Alco. They also beat FH to win the City crown that year. Some have said that team may have gone down as the best BW team in history. Maybe a few old and new Spartans might disagree. Multiple others have also said the 31-30 win over Beall that year for Homecoming was incredible. Beall went for 2 and the win, didn't get it. At the time Suter Kegg wrote it was the best game ever in the stadium. I would really love to see the full 1978 BW schedule and scores from that year if anyone has that info. What was the final record too? Otherwise I would have to utilize the Times-News microfishe at the library to find such info. Younger folks won't remember that BW and Beall was always the last game and always Homecoming for both. One year at Fort Hill Stadium the next at Beall...the same weekend as Alco vs. FH. Some of those games at Beall were brutally cold.

Another great BW game pointed out to me was the 1974 game vs. FH. The Sentinels won 7-6 as BW went for 2 to get the win and didn't get it. And of course that was Barry Lattimer's senior year at FH.

During my time, BW had an incredible 1984 team. I remember Allegany beat them on a last second field goal by Danny Porter. At the time Alco was setting the all-time city win streak.

Going deeper, the 1965 LaSalle team that beat FH was stout according to some of their former players. That was the last year for LaSalle and they had never beaten FH in 32 tries prior. Sam Perlozzo was a frosh or soph that year for BW. His brother Slug played a role in that one. Despite FH going 2-8 that year, it was still a huge win for LaSalle.

Last edited:
Reactions: loco09
Mcc perryville n Brunswick... I no two hurt.. but come on,they are down to the wire best games since 2000 easy...

While I would not discount the Brunswick game of 2012, I thought the Lackey OT game in 2017 was a step ahead. Not because FH won that Lackey game in OT or lost to Brunswick in 2012...I felt the FH team of 2017 was many levels better than the FH team of 2012, which was easily the worst FH team under Coach Appel. And I thought Lackey was miles ahead of that Brunswick team. Just two better teams going at it. At least there was better defense on the field with the Lackey game.

Although the 2012 Brunswick game produced a ton of offensive fireworks. Darr ran 39 times for 263 yards. The Brunswick QB Nusbaum threw for 315 yards in a 46-42 last minute win. Not much defense to speak of though. The Brunswick receiver Blaine Price that year still holds most all the state records for receptions and receiving yards. Oddly enough though, the year before in 2011 Brunswick came to FH for a playoff game and lost. Their senior QB Ian Fisher still holds the state records in a game with 42 completions and 65 attempts. He was like 6'5 and they threw it every down. I remember the FH coaches saying their defensive ends ran 5 miles that day just rushing the QB. FH won that one because the Railroaders defense was real bad. Not much different in 2012.

Also of weird note...Brunswick always kicked an onsides kickoff no matter the score. They just laid the ball flat on the ground and kicked it. Their coach after the game told me their kickoff coverage was so poor that it made no difference.

I'll go with two not mentioned.....

1975 Fort Hill over Gaithersburg 14-13 in come from behind win....FH loses, then they are not in the playoffs and no first state championship.

1976 Fort Hill over Georgetown Prep 7-6 in the rain.

Alco win over Elkton in I believe double OT. The Dunbar game back and forth was great.The playoff game against FH were 8-3 Alco beat an undefeated sentinel team.. I cant really think that far back but Greenway has had some good ones.. The Keyser win over FH to stop their streak was pretty big. The Alco FH playoff game last yr. was a thriller..

Alco win over Elkton in I believe double OT. The Dunbar game back and forth was great.The playoff game against FH were 8-3 Alco beat an undefeated sentinel team.. I cant really think that far back but Greenway has had some good ones.. The Keyser win over FH to stop their streak was pretty big. The Alco FH playoff game last yr. was a thriller..

Todd brought up a great point about Alco beating Dunbar week 1 a year or 2 ago. I actually didn't even consider it until just now, but yes, huge win, especially considering where our program is lately.

I'll always be biased though.. when we came out of the locker room down 2 scores, gave up a quick touchdown AND they recovered a surprise onside kick, people started leaving the stadium because they figured Elkton had us beat. Strother, Jamison and Sellers lead a comeback in the greatest game ever at Greenway with a state title game on the line. Stud team.. took double overtime to beat them.

Reactions: camper21502
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT