ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Unbeatens

Todd im thinking FH may have their hands full on oakdale this year. What’s your thoughts on Friday night?
I’m anxious to hear his thoughts also. My thinking is it looks to be a tough game for Fort Hill. As a side note Todd I still believe that the championship team from Fort Hill a few years ago would have beaten the Oakdale championship team from that same year😜

With the right QB under center, I think FH can win this in a tight game.

On the other hand, I think MR wins by at least 3 TDs over Frankfort. Probably more.

With the right QB under center, I think FH can win this in a tight game.

On the other hand, I think MR wins by at least 3 TDs over Frankfort. Probably more.
Speaking of the QB, I do not know who is the better QB, but from what I saw in the scrimmages, and last night it seems that the offense runs smoother and quicker with #15 playing. He seems to mesh better with the overall quickness of the FH skill players. Seems a little more accurate throwing the ball as well. Sometimes it seems if #9 slows everything down just a little ,and makes things seem a little forced. I don't know a lot about the interworking of the FH program or its offensive structure. Just my unbiased opinion from what I've seen so far this year. I'm and old guy that played against the FH 75 State Champions. This reminds me a little of that team that won the States with Chuck Spangler at QB, only because Mark Paupe had to miss the second half of the season. Both were capable, but Paupe really made the offense go. He too fit the quickness, and speed of both Steve Trimble and Lyle Peck a little better then Spangler. I think this years team can win either, but #15 makes it look simple, smooth, and quick. Just an outsiders opinion.

This is probably the reason FH has not been able to run the misdirection QB bootlegs that have been faking every team out for a couple of years. There has not been any threat from the QB to run the ball except for QB sneaks.

My toughest pick this week was the Northern/Frankfort game. It looked like it was a great game. Looking forward to a good game in Frostburg this week.

I am really tempted to make the short trip to see the Oakdale/Fort Hill game.

Reactions: Tony54
The Tri State prep top 30 rankings I have no idea where they get the rankings or who votes but they have Oakdale #2 and Fort Hill #7 I would say it’s inaccurate. They also have Mountain Ridge #8. Fort Hill and Ridge both beats Oakdale

Oakdale will be the toughest opponent on anyone's schedule west of Carroll County and Montgomery County. I would not read into the 42-7 beating the Bears took last year at Greenway other than a revenge factor. This Oakdale is a different team with different parts that were not there last season. If the FH defense cannot contain the Oakdale QB running it won't turn out positive.

A fan can only look for two main improvements for FH - limit the turnovers they had against Hollidaysburg and catch the damn punt.

This is the best of Frederick County vs. the best of Allegany County.
This one is going to go to the wire I believe.

The Tri State prep top 30 rankings I have no idea where they get the rankings or who votes but they have Oakdale #2 and Fort Hill #7 I would say it’s inaccurate. They also have Mountain Ridge #8. Fort Hill and Ridge both beats Oakdale
You think Ridge would beat Oakdale?

Now I’m thinking I was wrong. Interested to see the outcome of the FH/Oakdale game. I think the Oakdale/Frederick game will be one to mark the calendar for.

Now I’m thinking I was wrong. Interested to see the outcome of the FH/Oakdale game. I think the Oakdale/Frederick game will be one to mark the calendar for.
Frederick has come a long way. It was only just 5 years ago they were getting beat by Smithsburg 55-0. It's hard to get a feel for where this Cadet team stands as their current defeated opponents have posted a 3-13 record.

Frederick has come a long way. It was only just 5 years ago they were getting beat by Smithsburg 55-0. It's hard to get a feel for where this Cadet team stands as their current defeated opponents have posted a 3-13 record.
Unfortunately Frederick County has yet to take the training wheels off of Frederick's program. We will find out in the next few weeks if Frederick, Oakdale or Urbana is the top team in the County. Oakdale will play both Frederick and Urbana; however, Frederick will not play Urbana.

Reactions: sspencer34
I believe FH can beat Oakdale…. Ridge no way… if FH is undisciplined and puts the ball on the ground they lose…yes, I am basing these projections on pre-covid Frederick county football… not sure if those teams have came all the way back… this week we will see.

I am not a fan of the wing-T out of shot gun formation, which FH has been trying to build and utilize this year. That seemingly is because they are missing a true fullback and are forced to do so to an extent by taking bodies out of the box. Wertz is an amazing player and a great halfback who can hit the hole quick. But his 150 lb. frame is not made for pounding between the tackles as they found out at Old Mill when holes are not always available. He is the workhorse getting 16 carries a game like every FH fullback before him.

The shotgun spread takes away what makes the wing-T an advantage. They don't hit the hole quick. It's not all north/south at the snap. There is no bootleg in the playbook. I think this takes away their offensive advantage. The defense has been their mantra thus far in 2022.

I see a low scoring game at Oakdale. Can't turn the ball over. Offense will struggle. Defense wins championships.

Reactions: ravemwp
I am not a fan of the wing-T out of shot gun formation, which FH has been trying to build and utilize this year. That seemingly is because they are missing a true fullback and are forced to do so to an extent by taking bodies out of the box. Wertz is an amazing player and a great halfback who can hit the hole quick. But his 150 lb. frame is not made for pounding between the tackles as they found out at Old Mill when holes are not always available. He is the workhorse getting 16 carries a game like every FH fullback before him.

The shotgun spread takes away what makes the wing-T an advantage. They don't hit the hole quick. It's not all north/south at the snap. There is no bootleg in the playbook. I think this takes away their offensive advantage. The defense has been their mantra thus far in 2022.

I see a low scoring game at Oakdale. Can't turn the ball over. Offense will struggle. Defense wins championships.
I know that #32 has been dinged up a bit this year, but against Old Mill they went to him late in the game and was key in that final drive getting lots of tough yards. I haven't noticed him back there much since. Against Hollidaysburg I noticed a few times in shorter yard situations that they put #5 in the tailback position in the I formation, or had #2 and #5 in a split back formation, for some short yardage plays. What is the possibility of #32 at the FB position, with #2, #5, and #20 being interchangeable along with #1 at the skill spots. I think that the mobility of # 15 at QB seems to make the offense run a bit more smoothly.

I know that #32 has been dinged up a bit this year, but against Old Mill they went to him late in the game and was key in that final drive getting lots of tough yards. I haven't noticed him back there much since. Against Hollidaysburg I noticed a few times in shorter yard situations that they put #5 in the tailback position in the I formation, or had #2 and #5 in a split back formation, for some short yardage plays. What is the possibility of #32 at the FB position, with #2, #5, and #20 being interchangeable along with #1 at the skill spots. I think that the mobility of # 15 at QB seems to make the offense run a bit more smoothly.
When #32 is healthy enough to take the pounding demanded by this position he changes the offense. Hope he gets there before playoff time.

I have another answer, give Banks a different jersey and put him at fullback. Right now, he's a diamond in the rough. (If they tweak his stance a little, he'll be much faster coming off the ball.

For something equally important, what are the concessions like at Oakdale?
Not sure about the concessions.🤣but I watched part of the game against Linganore on NFHS and they have a great field and a really cool atmosphere there

For something equally important, what are the concessions like at Oakdale?
I didn't go to the game in person last week but in the past Oakdale has had a food truck (usually BBQ) there as well as their normal concessions.

The atmosphere is great and I will give it to their students, they are loud and into the game. No doubt it will be a packed house. They also just opened up a new exit off of I-70 (sign says Linganore/Ijamsville) which makes getting to the school much easier than in the past.

Reactions: Dwj21 and ravemwp
When #32 is healthy enough to take the pounding demanded by this position he changes the offense. Hope he gets there before playoff time.
I agree, also I agree that while #20 would excel at TB or WB he is very much undersized for the pounding that Fort Hill FBs take. During the pre season scrimmages I noticed that # 21 was taking some snaps at FB with the 1s-2s. He seems to have good size and speed. Any chance he sees some snaps until #32 is healthy. With so many big play TDs from the Fort Hill backs, its hard to determine how consistently they can sustain long drives against stronger competition. Still seems to be a work in progress. Also noticed FH trying to create a short passing game, trying to get their speedster athletes the ball in space. Not typical FH offense, but these guys #1, #2, #5, and #20 sure are fun to watch.

Reactions: Dwj21 and Tony54
I agree, also I agree that while #20 would excel at TB or WB he is very much undersized for the pounding that Fort Hill FBs take. During the pre season scrimmages I noticed that # 21 was taking some snaps at FB with the 1s-2s. He seems to have good size and speed. Any chance he sees some snaps until #32 is healthy. With so many big play TDs from the Fort Hill backs, its hard to determine how consistently they can sustain long drives against stronger competition. Still seems to be a work in progress. Also noticed FH trying to create a short passing game, trying to get their speedster athletes the ball in space. Not typical FH offense, but these guys #1, #2, #5, and #20 sure are fun to watch.
I think the 87 yards, 18 play, 10 minute plus drive against Old Mill demonstrates that FH can sustain a drive; followed up by a 6 play game winning drive to win the game on a FG. However, I understand the point. One of the keys here was there was no fumbling the bal during these two drives.

I think the 87 yards, 18 play, 10 minute plus drive against Old Mill demonstrates that FH can sustain a drive; followed up by a 6 play game winning drive to win the game on a FG. However, I understand the point. One of the keys here was there was no fumbling the bal during these two drives.
Yes absolutely agree, that was exactly what I was talking about. On that 18 play drive FH just kept pounding #32 into the line for 4 to 5 yards at a clip. After the onside kick recovery, I thought there was a big play by # 20 and a penalty that got the ball inside the 10. I could be wrong about that, but I seem to remember it that way. Other than that one drive, they have scored on so many long runs, or catch and runs that they haven't really had to sustain long drives. Just hoping when the time comes against stronger competition they can play power football when needed on a consistent basis. Stiffer comp may stifle some of their explosiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony54
Put #32 in as a blocking fullback and run #20 at tailback, especially when you need short yardage. Run the I formation.

Reactions: ravemwp
Put #32 in as a blocking fullback and run #20 at tailback, especially when you need short yardage. Run the I formation.
I agree that would be ideal, but they say #32 hasn't been healthy enough to play both ways so far this season. With the exception of the 4th quarter of the Old Mill game he has played very limited snaps at FB. Having him healthy would create so much more space for either #2, #5, or #20 from the TB spot. Lets hope that #32 gets to full strength as the season plays out. It could only help Fort Hills cause.

You guys almost had me thinking Oakdale had a chance 😂😂
It never fails, every year on this board. FH turns the ball over 4 or 5 times in a game or has a game with a ton of penalty’s and everyone thinks the sky is falling and talks about how bad they are. Then they go out the next week and put a running clock on someone

ADVERTISEMENT