ADVERTISEMENT

Area Player of The Year Awards

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
Curious what other people think. Cast your ballot for the 2018 Area Football Top Awards:

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Sefa (MR)

OFF PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Swan (FH)

DEF PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Crabtree (FH)

LINEMAN OF THE YEAR: Brehm (FH) / Switzer (Southern)

COACH OF THE YEAR: Whiteman (Frankfort)

Last edited:
The FH MR game told the story. Sefa provided tons of offense against lesser teams but couldn't carry the load in at least four games this season. It's a FH sweep for all area honors.

Reactions: Gr8silverback
The FH MR game told the story. Sefa provided tons of offense against lesser teams but couldn't carry the load in at least four games this season. It's a FH sweep for all area honors.

I just don't want to see any Co-Player awards this year. Make a decision either way even it happens to be unpopular or controversial.

Reactions: OneRing
I just don't want to see any Co-Player awards this year. Make a decision either way even it happens to be unpopular or controversial.
That happens way too often in every sport around here. A few years back I think 6 of the 8 awards given to players in boys and girls soccer had co-players of the year. While it can happen, and sometimes deserve to happen, a lot of times t seems like it's a cop out to make some coach happy or to avoid criticism.

Reactions: money316
PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Brehm (FH)

OFF PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Swan (FH)

DEF PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Crabtree (FH)

LINEMAN OF THE YEAR: Bishop (FH)

COACH OF THE YEAR: Appel(FH)

I will add my 2 cents worth for POY honors...

While in a much different way, there has not been a player since the late Shannon Stevens (Allegany High School) that has had such an impact on a football game than D. King of Fort Hill High School.

Has a kicker ever received the POY award in this area? Not to my knowledge, but D. K. should be the exception if there ever was one.

Think about what he did from a defensive perspective...he consistently had teams start from the 20 yard line. From an offensive perspective...he was responsible for more points than FH's defense had given up late in the season. Also, FGs of 54, 50, 47, etc. always made him a threat to earn 3 points for the Sentinels.

He is the one and only area player who will most likely be playing on television on Saturdays a few years from now.

Are the other players mentioned worthy of the POY award? Yes, in any other year, but D. King is a kicker the likes of this area might not ever see again.

While in a much different way, there has not been a player since the late Shannon Stevens (Allegany High School) that has had such an impact on a football game than D. King of Fort Hill High School.

Has a kicker ever received the POY award in this area? Not to my knowledge, but D. K. should be the exception if there ever was one.

Think about what he did from a defensive perspective...he consistently had teams start from the 20 yard line. From an offensive perspective...he was responsible for more points than FH's defense had given up late in the season. Also, FGs of 54, 50, 47, etc. always made him a threat to earn 3 points for the Sentinels.

He is the one and only area player who will most likely be playing on television on Saturdays a few years from now.

Are the other players mentioned worthy of the POY award? Yes, in any other year, but D. King is a kicker the likes of this area might not ever see again.
He also played some safety earlier in the season and added a few interceptions to his name.

Totally agree … what a comfort it must be to know that your team is in scoring position once you reach the opponent's 40. It changes the entire dynamic of the game on the high school level. That can sometimes be a tricky situation to manage when it is 4th and 4 on the opponents 25. Teams without a D King is an automatic to go for it, but with him on your team, you probably take the 3 points. Kudos to Coach Appel for making the right call in the right situations to win a title! Look forward to seeing another year of what he can do locally before moving to the next level.

Reactions: ConeyIsland
POY: Sefa(MR)
OPOY: Swan or Beal(there is no obvious choice for this in my opinion but due to fort hills success this season I feel like it should go to one of their players)
DPOY:Smith(FH)
LOY:Switzer(very underrated player but definitely best lineman in the area)

Anyone know why it takes so long to make the announcements? Not just football but all sports. Baseball and softball will be starting soon and they have still not announced the All Area team or POY In the Times-News. I do know that softball POY and All Area team has been published in the paper in Moorefield and that was in July.

Anyone know why it takes so long to make the announcements? Not just football but all sports. Baseball and softball will be starting soon and they have still not announced the All Area team or POY In the Times-News. I do know that softball POY and All Area team has been published in the paper in Moorefield and that was in July.
Staffing at the Times-News is an issue and cooperation from the coaches has been the other issue in recent years in some sports

I don't understand either issues. They have 4 sports writers dont they? What kind of cooperation from the coaches, getting info sent to them? I guess looking at a softball standpoint it has been picked since July, so why not put it in. Just curious.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
I don't understand either issues. They have 4 sports writers dont they? What kind of cooperation from the coaches, getting info sent to them? I guess looking at a softball standpoint it has been picked since July, so why not put it in. Just curious.

https://www.times-news.com/sports/l...cle_a5a7e096-3dac-538e-9ae0-a5036b45a274.html

First Google result of 'times-news all area baseball"

Okay my fault on the baseball All Area, didn't see it. What about softball though? Nothing on that yet.
Was it in that sports magazine that comes out with the student athletes of the month, maybe? They've been in there before and not sure if they get put online to find.

Was it in that sports magazine that comes out with the student athletes of the month, maybe? They've been in there before and not sure if they get put online to find.
No softball has not been published yet

OPOY: Swan or Beal(there is no obvious choice for this in my opinion but due to fort hills success this season I feel like it should go to one of their players)
LOY

Brehm or Trimble either one would be a better pic

I don't disagree with this, he is definitely deserving. I think they will give it to him next year. If you give it to him this year you almost have to give it to him again next season, and I just don't see a kicker winning two years in a row.

I don't disagree with this, he is definitely deserving. I think they will give it to him next year. If you give it to him this year you almost have to give it to him again next season, and I just don't see a kicker winning two years in a row.

I’m a fort hill guy but I’m glad to hear someone bring up Shannon Stevens. He was a one man wrecking crew and that was a great defense too

Reactions: camper21502
I’m a fort hill guy but I’m glad to hear someone bring up Shannon Stevens. He was a one man wrecking crew and that was a great defense too
GROVER THOUGHT MORE OF DRUGS THEN FOOTBALL !THATS WHY HES DEAD !ALL THAT PO &NOWHERE TOGO!

Last year the players were announced exactly one week before the awards banquet which left the families of those getting awards scrambling to puchsse tickets in a few days. Its ridiculous, honestly.
I get it the Times News is struggling but you can’t tell me it wasn’t possible to get that information out earlier than 1 week prior. I’m certain that the TN can do better than that! That being said my picks would be:
POY: Swan
OPOY: Sefa
DPOY: Crabtree/Trimble
LOY: Brehm
COY: Apple

Last year the players were announced exactly one week before the awards banquet which left the families of those getting awards scrambling to puchsse tickets in a few days. Its ridiculous, honestly.
I get it the Times News is struggling but you can’t tell me it wasn’t possible to get that information out earlier than 1 week prior. I’m certain that the TN can do better than that! That being said my picks would be:
How do you think softball parents feel. They have still not announced the POY in that sport

They are the Times-News Players of the Year. Not the Dapper Dan Shrine Club players of the year. If I was the paper, the last thing I would worry about is getting them out before the Dapper Dan awards. We get more than enough in the paper regarding the banquet as it is.

I was always confused that the Times-News Awards are picked by coaches with backroom deals like you vote for my guy I will vote for yours. The Times-News Staff should do it on their own. it's really not that hard.

I agree on the Dapper Dan Awards, they are a joke anyways.
Same people winning Awards and patting each other on the back year after year.

I was always confused that the Times-News Awards are picked by coaches with backroom deals like you vote for my guy I will vote for yours. The Times-News Staff should do it on their own. it's really not that hard.

I agree on the Dapper Dan Awards, they are a joke anyways.
Same people winning Awards and patting each other on the back year after year.
Some of the stories mention ballots to coaches, but not sure how football is decided since they stopped the 'meeting' they used to have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT