ADVERTISEMENT

Alco vs MR

I was stuck in the middle of a 15-hour shift at work, so I was not able to catch the game on the radio or streaming. I did catch a couple plays here and there on NFHS. I am just about to sit down and watch the replay of it.

I think a Mountain Ridge blowout was expected. Was it odd that they didn’t shake hands after the game?
It was odd to see it in watching the replay.

After watching the replay of the game, it was very chippy from the start of the game. You like to see some chipiness in a game between County schools. The Campers got down to the 1-yard line on their first drive by running the ball down Mountain Ridge's throat. That drive ended when Alco couldn't master the QB/RB exchange at the goaline and Mountain Ridge recovered a fumble. During that first drive Alco had the blindside block penalty which took out one the Miners' starters and had an unsportsmanlike penalty at the end of the fumble play.

Mountain Ridge deciding not to shake hands was directly due to the hit on one of their players on Allegany's first offensive drive. I understand that football has changed in the past 10 to 15 years, and some don't like it, but those type of plays are illegal for good reason. Coach Patterson was livid that it happened again this week. He was livid that it happened to one of his players. And if he would of saw the reaction of some of the Allegany players and coaches to the hit afterwards, he would have been ejected from the game I truly believe.

I gave Coach Hansel a lot of credit last week after what happened and how he handled it in the media. It is clear to me after seeing the replay of the game that the type of behavior that occurred at the end of the Boonsboro game last week, and in the first quarter of the Mountain Ridge game is condoned and celebrated by the Allegany coaching staff, and that has made me lose all respect for Coach Hansel. You put a young man in the hospital last week and you do it again this week?

I should mention that the chirping back and forth went both ways during the game. Mountain Ridge had a silly late hit out of bounds on their sideline late in the game. Their players were also chirping back and forth.

Why was the Allegany player not ejected from the game? He should have been, right?

Yes, I agree and it seems the coaching staff is taking the program in the wrong direction

It was odd to see it in watching the replay.

After watching the replay of the game, it was very chippy from the start of the game. You like to see some chipiness in a game between County schools. The Campers got down to the 1-yard line on their first drive by running the ball down Mountain Ridge's throat. That drive ended when Alco couldn't master the QB/RB exchange at the goaline and Mountain Ridge recovered a fumble. During that first drive Alco had the blindside block penalty which took out one the Miners' starters and had an unsportsmanlike penalty at the end of the fumble play.

Mountain Ridge deciding not to shake hands was directly due to the hit on one of their players on Allegany's first offensive drive. I understand that football has changed in the past 10 to 15 years, and some don't like it, but those type of plays are illegal for good reason. Coach Patterson was livid that it happened again this week. He was livid that it happened to one of his players. And if he would of saw the reaction of some of the Allegany players and coaches to the hit afterwards, he would have been ejected from the game I truly believe.

I gave Coach Hansel a lot of credit last week after what happened and how he handled it in the media. It is clear to me after seeing the replay of the game that the type of behavior that occurred at the end of the Boonsboro game last week, and in the first quarter of the Mountain Ridge game is condoned and celebrated by the Allegany coaching staff, and that has made me lose all respect for Coach Hansel. You put a young man in the hospital last week and you do it again this week?

I should mention that the chirping back and forth went both ways during the game. Mountain Ridge had a silly late hit out of bounds on their sideline late in the game. Their players were also chirping back and forth.

Why was the Allegany player not ejected from the game? He should have been, right?
I would never condone players and coaches celebrating cheap shots, and blindsiding blocks that may cause injury to another player. Much the same i would never condone players and coaches celebrating the fact their 1st team offense is throwing multiple touchdown passes against a very undermanned Southern team in the 2nd half of a game with a running clock, already leading by 6 plus touchdowns. I will always respect a team that keeps playing hard, but there a many different ways to handle that situation other than MR decision to demoralize those kids from Southern. Come on MR stop trying to be the moral compass of what other coaching staffs condone, while your starting QB throws a touchdown pass to make the score 62-7

Last edited:
I would never condone players and coaches celebrating cheap shots, and blindsiding blocks that may cause injury to another player. Much the same i would never condone players and coaches celebrating the fact their 1st team offense is throwing multiple touchdown passes against a very undermanned Southern team in the 2nd half of a game with a running clock, already leading by 6 plus touchdowns. I will always respect a team that keeps playing hard, but there a many different ways to handle that situation other than MR decision to demoralize those kids from Southern. Come on MR stop trying to be the moral compass of what other coaching staffs condone, while your starting QB throws a touchdown pass to make the score 62-7
I was listening to the game on the radio. With about 30 seconds left Mtn Ridge QB Pua'auli took off running for a big gain with a 41-16 lead. Even the WCBC announcers were shocked. I was like what coach puts his top player in that position? Then to worry about a hand shake? Oh well. I guess the only lesson is a hard lesson you should not want to learn.

I'm not talking about having Pua'auli in running up the score. I'm talking about risk of injury having your best player in the game running with the ball when you already feel like the other team has taken cheap shots. Wow that's a head scratcher. Gotta be smarter than that. Even if Pua'auli is the only QB left on the roster, then just hand the ball off or better yet take a knee.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT