ADVERTISEMENT

Alco/FH game

cumbfanatic

Franchise Poster
Sep 13, 2009
Alleganys schedule is out. Alco/FH is playing noon on Friday the day after Thanksgiving

121523280_10220694038215308_7276853869911252778_o.jpg

Alco schedule: (don't know the exact dates or home and away maybe someone else can post)

Week 1: Northern
Week 2: FH
Week 3: Bye
Week 4: Mt. Ridge
Week 5: FH
Week 6: Southern
Week 7: Clear Springs
Week 8: Mt. Ridge

I find it strange Alco and FH playing twice at beginning of season and not at all at the end of the season. I would have liked to see Alco/FH weeks 5 and 8.

Allegany
Fri Oct 30 Home Northern Garrett 6pm
Fri Nov 6 at Fort Hill 6pm
Nov 30 BYE
Fri Nov 20 at Mountain Ridge
Fri Nov 27 Home Fort Hill 12:30 on a Friday?
Sat Dec 5 at Southern 1:00
Fri Dec 11 at Clear Spring 7pm
Sat Dec 19 Home Mountain Ridge

I hope that Fri Nov 27th Homecoming 12:30 kickoff on a Friday is a Typo

Fort Hill
Sat Oct 31 Home Mountain Ridge 1pm
Fri Nov 6 Home Allegany 6pm
Fri Nov 13 Away Northern 6pm
Fri Nov 20 Home Southern 6pm
Fri Nov 27 at Allegany 12:30
Dec 4 BYE
Fri Dec 11 Away Mountain Ridge 6pm

Last edited:
I'm glad the young people finally got to play but it's unfortunate that they lost a big part of their season and also the potential to make a playoff run or state championship.

I find it strange Alco and FH playing twice at beginning of season and not at all at the end of the season. I would have liked to see Alco/FH weeks 5 and 8.
I think the point was to get fort Hill and alco to play right after Thanksgiving. It would be hard to do that and not have the other game be at the beginning of the season. At least that's how I'm looking at it.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Alco coach was on the radio this morning. Apparently Washington county decided to only play within their own county so Alco/Clear Spring and FH/South Hagerstown games have been cancelled.

Alco coach was on the radio this morning. Apparently Washington county decided to only play within their own county so Alco/Clear Spring and FH/South Hagerstown games have been cancelled.

Not correct about Washington County. More later.

But I have heard some crazy, crazy details concerning Alco football and their COVID case these last two days. Completely insane local health dept stuff that has treated Coach Hansel and the entire football program beyond unfair. Last time I shared the details, people in the system got mad at me for not being 100% correct (of which I don't agree obviously). That's not why I don't share the info while posting under my own name. Not because the system tries to shut people like me up, but because we are dealing with kids and their privacy.

Not correct about Washington County. More later.

But I have heard some crazy, crazy details concerning Alco football and their COVID case these last two days. Completely insane local health dept stuff that has treated Coach Hansel and the entire football program beyond unfair. Last time I shared the details, people in the system got mad at me for not being 100% correct (of which I don't agree obviously). That's not why I don't share the info while posting under my own name. Not because the system tries to shut people like me up, but because we are dealing with kids and their privacy.

Several kids at FH also have tested positive. One of them is my relative (who is not on the team) but apparently at least one is on the football team. Will this affect the schedule if there are future positives?

Several kids at FH also have tested positive. One of them is my relative (who is not on the team) but apparently at least one is on the football team. Will this affect the schedule if there are future positives?

The current Allegany County BOE policy appears to be if one student-athlete tests positive, then the whole team stops practicing and playing for two weeks. That does not mean quarantine every player for two weeks, just stop practicing and playing. That is the same rule in all of WV. But this protocol seems to be changing daily. What most coaches and parents are requesting is that the BOE follow health dept protocol and that involves contact tracing that every one must follow. If a player tests positive but was never at practice or around other players then it doesn't make sense to shut the program down. So yes it can devastate a short schedule at any place.

Saw a complete list of Washington County football schedules this evening. With the exception of the South Hagerstown/Fort Hill game, all other games are between county schools. The Allegany/Clear Spring game was NOT on the Clear Spring schedule. It appears as if the schools have decided to play their rival to start and end the season. North/South Hagerstown, Boonsboro/Smithsburg and Clear Spring/Williamsport all start and end their seasons with home-and-home contests against one another.

The wildcard in the whole thing is Hancock. The Panthers are only listed on Clear Springs schedule. I wonder what they will do with their other 5 weeks. That could be an option for Mountain Ridge, Northern, Southern and Allegany to get one additional game.

Last edited:
The wildcard in the whole thing is Hancock. The Panthers are only listed on Clear Springs schedule. I wonder what they will do with their other 5 weeks. That could be an option for Mountain Ridge, Northern, Southern and Allegany to get one additional game.

I think they're playing games against the bigger Washington County schools JV teams. They're on the Williamsport, Boonsboro and North Hagerstown JV schedules and I know they don't have the numbers to field a JV and a varsity.

This arrangement is pretty common out west even in a normal year. Smaller schools in Texas for example will often play their varsity against the JV team from a nearby larger school rather than try to find a similar sized opponent that might be a 3+ hour each way road trip.

Hancock
Week 1 (10/28)- Williamsport JV
Week 2 (11/4)- Boonsboro JV
Week 3 11/13
Week 4 (11/18)- at North Hagerstown JV
Week 5 11/27
Week 6 (12/4)- Clear Spring
Week 7 (12/9)- at Williamsport JV

Still leaves them with only 5 games and two open dates so maybe they'll add more games. Smithsburg and Clear Spring don't appear to be fielding JV teams this year. They're not on the South Hagerstown JV schedule but South and Hancock both have Week 5 open so maybe that'll be added in.

Washington County decided to allow their football teams to play non-Washington County teams. It looks like only Clear Spring and South Hagerstown are going to do so. All other sports were told that they could only play in-county teams. No competition for volleyball, golf, soccer, cross-country outside of the Washington County circle.

Every school has a concern with traveling costs as mandates can only put so many people on a bus. So to travel an entire team can require the cost of 3 to 4 buses. With no gate money coming in things are very tight financially as well as with safety protocols.

We are all still waiting to see if the State Health Dept loosens the number of people allowed into stadiums and gyms. The total of 250 people for stadiums is fine, but counting the players/coaches/refs on the field into that total doesn't make sense. Don't plan on getting in the gate this year unless you have a child on the team. And even that may not happen.

It appears as if the schools have decided to play their rival to start and end the season. North/South Hagerstown, Boonsboro/Smithsburg and Clear Spring/Williamsport all start and end their seasons with home-and-home contests against one another.

That's smart and what we have always done around here for freshman and JV games. The whole purpose of Thanksgiving was to resurrect the tradition of Turkey Day game. But the key there is Turkey Day as in on Thanksgiving day. To play it the day after means nothing so they should have kept with the other tradition of ending the season with rivalry games, a tradition going back to 1936 in the case of Alco/FH. Somehow they screwed up both traditions this year. The old timers are fading away and with it common sense and tradition. Alco/FH should have started the season and ended the season unless they wanted to resurrect Turkey Day. They did neither. I guess I am a dinosaur who needs to go away with the rest of the traditionalists, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT