ADVERTISEMENT

Alco 17 Boonsboro 6 FINAL

I’ll start by saying that Allegany was the better team on both sides of the ball tonight. Both lines manhandled Boonsboro until later in the 2nd half when they started to wear down a bit. In my opinion, Boonsboro also waited way too long to switch over to a pass heavy offense.
Now for the part where I am sure I will get some grief from the Cumberland folk, but the biggest play in this game was the running into the kicker call on Boonsboro late in the 4th quarter when it was still 10-6. This was an absolutely horrendous call from an officiating crew that looked clueless all night. Instead of Boonsboro having the ball around the Allegany 20, Allegany gets to rekick and after a very nice roll, Boonsboro takes over at their own 30, a 50 yard swing in field position! Now we will never know what would have happened but I would have liked Boonsboro’s chances a lot more deep in Allegany territory against a tiring defense.
I’d love to see a rematch in the playoffs because it’s very clear that the 2 schools don’t like each other very much (Allegany might want to tone down the chatter a bit too). But it’s also very clear that this is Mountain Ridge and Fort Hill’s region to lose.

Reactions: JONGO
That was a big call, the kid knocked him down way after he kicked the football. If they were going make a call it should have been a 15 yard personal foul rather than a 5 yard running into the kicker. Looked like the Alco qb was hit late a few times in the first half. There were calls on both sides that were missed. The Alco fb was doing well, then he missed a large portion of the game with cramps.

Last edited:
That was a big call, the kids threw him down way after he kicked the football. If they were going make a call it should have been a 15 yard personal foul rather than a 5 yard running into the kicker. Looked like the Alco qb was hit late a few times on the first half. There were calls on both sides that were missed. The Alco fb was doing well, then he missed a large portion of the game with cramps.
We will agree to disagree on the running into the kicker. Once the snap was botched, he’s a runner and no longer has kicking protections and I would say he never reestablished himself as a kicker. Boonsboro is trying to recover a fumble and the kicker picks it up and kicks it immediately. Not sure how they are supposed to avoid contact. But anyways, the the team that played better tonight won so it is what it is. My concern for Allegany is that they did dominate for most of the game but could never put it away. With only dressing 20 or 21 kids, when they have a chance to put the nail in, they need to do it.

Brunswick-Boonsboro next week is big. I think I gave Boonsboro and Catoctin too much credit last week. Right now I’m leaning Brunswick but hopefully they learn from tonight and get it together next week.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Once a kicker reestablishes himself as a kicker, he's a kicker. I know that sounds silly but you know what I mean. A botched snap doesn't automatically negate the protections for a kicker. Ask Allegany fans what they think about that rule in regards to the 1994(?) homecoming game. Lol.

I didn't see the actual play, so I can't say that's the case. I'm just kind of commenting objectively.

Reactions: OneRing
I agree with the assessment of the game, Allegany was just better in all areas of the game. It was close though. Allegany scored a very late td to put it away for good. On the botched kick, he dropped it, and moved forward to pick it up and avoided players to get the kick off. I was standing almost exactly to the side of the play, I dont know the nuisance of the rules, but I think Allegany got really lucky and that could have been a huge momentum swing. I would honestly ask the Allegany County Refs what they think of the play. They are far and above better than Washington Cty or Frederick Cty Refs

from the officials case book:
Once a player is established as a punter in the youth and NFHS rules and as long as it’s obvious a scrimmage kick can be made, that player receives all of the protections as a punter. In the NCAA, if the punter leaves the tackle box to punt the ball – say, rugby style – does give up his protection for potential roughing the kicker.

It’s the same way for running backs and wide receivers who take a pitch or a lateral then set up to throw downfield. The NFHS rule book never uses the terms “quarterback” or “punter.” It refers to “passer” and “kicker.” So just because someone lines up at a spot other than quarterback, he can still become the “passer” on the play.

Reactions: JONGO
yeah it probably should have been the bigger penalty I guess, the rules are the rules. Just not in Washington or Frederick Cty which doesnt surprise me

from the officials case book:
Once a player is established as a punter in the youth and NFHS rules and as long as it’s obvious a scrimmage kick can be made, that player receives all of the protections as a punter. In the NCAA, if the punter leaves the tackle box to punt the ball – say, rugby style – does give up his protection for potential roughing the kicker.

It’s the same way for running backs and wide receivers who take a pitch or a lateral then set up to throw downfield. The NFHS rule book never uses the terms “quarterback” or “punter.” It refers to “passer” and “kicker.” So just because someone lines up at a spot other than quarterback, he can still become the “passer” on the play.
Then the officials made the right call, or at least did the right thing by calling a penalty of some sort. But man, that's tough for a defense. The ball was rolling around and you have the QB and the Boonsboro defenders essentially trying to recover a fumble. Can't fault the Boonsboro defenders for the penalty because they are just trying to get the ball and there really wasn't much they could do to avoid contact at that point.

Then the officials made the right call, or at least did the right thing by calling a penalty of some sort. But man, that's tough for a defense. The ball was rolling around and you have the QB and the Boonsboro defenders essentially trying to recover a fumble. Can't fault the Boonsboro defenders for the penalty because they are just trying to get the ball and there really wasn't much they could do to avoid contact at that point.
yeah it's a terrible rule and always has been. They have always said it's to protect the player from injury but it's so bad that on 4th and long you roll the QB out and when he's about to get sacked just quick kick punts it right before he gets hit just to pick up a penalty and an easy first down and that could happen even on 2nd and long. Bad Rule for sure

ADVERTISEMENT