ADVERTISEMENT

1A West point totals Week 9 - Southern or Mountain Ridge in the playoffs?

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Looks like the playoffs are about locked in, barring some massive upsets.
LINK: Current 1A West Week 9 point standings

3 TEAMS ARE IN
Fort Hill
Catoctin
Boonsboro

SOUTHERN or MOUNTAIN RIDGE
The million dollar 1A West playoff question...who will take the last playoff spot and be the #4 seed? Will it be Southern or Mountain Ridge? Right now through Week 9 according to the standings it would be Southern by 3/tenths of a point. However, if Mountain Ridge beats Keyser next week and Southern beats Northern it will be extremely tight. How tight?

If the favorites win out, Southern will be the #4 playoff team by 1/10th of a point.

If any one of these things happen, Mountain Ridge will be the #4 playoff team.
- Spring Mills beats Hedgesville (Hedgesville favored by 20 points)
- Berkeley Springs beats Pendleton County (Pendleton favored by 43 points)
- Notre Dame beats Tucker County (Tucker County favored by 16 points)
- Hancock beats Clear Spring (Clear Spring favored by 30 points)

Southern will be the #4 playoff team if...
- East Hardy beats Petersburg (Petersburg favored by 22 points)
- or none of the above happens

If the favorites win out here are the projected final point totals:
Southern 7.27
Mountain Ridge 7.17
One/tenth of a point (or one win from a beaten opponent)

*** Brunswick has been eliminated unless both Mountain Ridge and Southern lose next week. Despite the Railroaders current 7-2 record, their wins were against teams that did not accumulate any bonus points (poor schedule).

*** Allegany has been eliminated regardless of what happens next week.

Last edited:
Looks like the playoffs are about locked in, barring some massive upsets.
LINK: Current 1A West Week 9 point standings

3 TEAMS ARE IN
Fort Hill
Catoctin
Boonsboro

SOUTHERN or MOUNTAIN RIDGE
The million dollar 1A West playoff question...who will take the last playoff spot and be the #4 seed? Will it be Southern or Mountain Ridge? Right now through Week 9 according to the standings it would be Southern by 3/tenths of a point. However, if Mountain Ridge beats Keyser next week and Southern beats Northern it will be extremely tight. How tight?

If the favorites win out, Southern will be the #4 playoff team by 1/10th of a point.

If any one of these things happen, Mountain Ridge will be the #4 playoff team.
- Spring Mills beats Hedgesville (Hedgesville favored by 20 points)
- Berkeley Springs beats Pendleton County (Pendleton favored by 43 points)
- Notre Dame beats Tucker County (Tucker County favored by 16 points)
- Hancock beats Clear Spring (Clear Spring favored by 30 points)

Southern will be the #4 playoff team if...
- East Hardy beats Petersburg (Petersburg favored by 22 points)
- or none of the above happens

If the favorites win out here are the projected final point totals:
Southern 7.27
Mountain Ridge 7.17
One/tenth of a point (or one win from a beaten opponent)

*** Brunswick has been eliminated unless both Mountain Ridge and Southern lose next week. Despite the Railroaders current 7-2 record, their wins were against teams that did not accumulate any bonus points (poor schedule).

*** Allegany has been eliminated regardless of what happens next week.
SO just curious...MR and Southern both win but Tucker County loses and everything else stays the same. Southern does not get the one/tenth of a point they expect so wouldn't that leave them tied with MR at 7.17? And if that were to be the case, how does that tiebreaker work with both having losses to FH and they didn't play head to head? .

SO just curious...MR and Southern both win but Tucker County loses and everything else stays the same. Southern does not get the one/tenth of a point they expect so wouldn't that leave them tied with MR at 7.17? And if that were to be the case, how does that tiebreaker work with both having losses to FH and they didn't play head to head? .

Correct. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head. Since Southern and Mountain Ridge did not play each other the second tie breaker is who has the most bonus points. That would be Mountain Ridge.

The irony in this scenario is that Southern and Mountain Ridge were set to play each other Week 6. But both teams had to have a home game, which case Southern then contacted FH to see if they wanted to play Week 6, but it had to be at Southern. And this is how it all came to be...Helmet Gate, the playoffs, etc.

I am curious where you get your lines/ favored from? Who is favored to win Mountain Ridge vs. Keyser? Will MR be able to bounce back from last Friday? How good is Keyser?

Sorry, all questions are things I don't know. I know that Keyser is pretty good and Mountain Ridge was rolling before FH.

Reactions: mike48
I am curious where you get your lines/ favored from? Who is favored to win Mountain Ridge vs. Keyser? Will MR be able to bounce back from last Friday? How good is Keyser?

Sorry, all questions are things I don't know. I know that Keyser is pretty good and Mountain Ridge was rolling before FH.

CalPreps.com - a computer based analogy
I don't rely on their output so take it with a grain of salt. Although they can be eerily accurate. Sometimes not. But that would be the case with any odds maker be it human or computer.

Keyser is currently favored by 10 over Mountain Ridge on a neutral field

CalPreps.com - a computer based analogy
I don't rely on their output so take it with a grain of salt. Although they can be eerily accurate. Sometimes not. But that would be the case with any odds maker be it human or computer.

Keyser is currently favored by 10 over Mountain Ridge on a neutral field
I think the key word you said there was "neutral" field. Not sure home field is as important in high school as it is in college, and especially NFL. Mostly because usually the two teams playing arent closely matched. One team is usually so much better than the other. I think it could come to play in the MR/Keyser game this week. Ultimately the key to the game will be if Keyser can stop Sefa. If they can, they will win.

I believe if Keyser can just slow down Sefa they can win. If he runs wild like he has shown he can then it will be a different story. A key to me is if Mt. Ridges D-Line can hold up for 4 qtrs.

Keyser is a pretty good team. I wish traditional week 2 would've been played this year. Might've been a long ride home from the Friendliest Town in the USA

First let me preface this by saying that as most already know , then Md playoff system is a joke! I wanted to post this before Friday so it would not be dismissed as just sour grapes after the fact. The fact that either Southern, Mt Ridge or even Brunswick for that matter will miss the playoffs is ridiculous with so many less deserving teams getting in. The fact that either a 2-6 Largo or 2-7 McDonough WILL get in the playoffs just shows the lunacy.
But looking at a scenario of both Southern and Mt Ridge winning this week would leave Southern at 8-2 and Mt Ridge at 7-3. Southern lost to FH 16-9 and Mt Ridge lost 56-0 . If they both win, it could come down to whether Tucker County beats a Notre Dame team in Clarksburg, Wv.
All the while, a 2-6 team in 1-A South is being rewarded for their season with a playoff bid and Fairmont Heights or Lackey gets basically a first round bye. I know, same story every year but its hard to fathom.

Apparently this wont be an issue in the near future if a proposal for a 9 game regular season and expanded playoffs gets approved. Regions will still be in place but top 8 would make the playoffs from each region with the rest in a consolation bracket or allowed to schedule a 10th game against a non-qualifier, not sure of the specifics.

First let me preface this by saying that as most already know , then Md playoff system is a joke! I wanted to post this before Friday so it would not be dismissed as just sour grapes after the fact. The fact that either Southern, Mt Ridge or even Brunswick for that matter will miss the playoffs is ridiculous with so many less deserving teams getting in. The fact that either a 2-6 Largo or 2-7 McDonough WILL get in the playoffs just shows the lunacy.
But looking at a scenario of both Southern and Mt Ridge winning this week would leave Southern at 8-2 and Mt Ridge at 7-3. Southern lost to FH 16-9 and Mt Ridge lost 56-0 . If they both win, it could come down to whether Tucker County beats a Notre Dame team in Clarksburg, Wv.
All the while, a 2-6 team in 1-A South is being rewarded for their season with a playoff bid and Fairmont Heights or Lackey gets basically a first round bye. I know, same story every year but its hard to fathom.
Sorry, you get shutout and gain 30 yards against another team in the region and you have no claim to the playoffs.

So let everybody in? And the participation trophy adds dozens of new recipients.
Well it makes week 10 a lot more interesting AND allows schools to schedule more interesting and local rivalries ( i.e. Keyser, Musselman, Martinsburg) without worrying about 1 loss totally destroying any chance of a chance at the playoffs. In the end, there is only 1 trophy that matters which is the state championship. It has to be better than what we currently have!

Well it makes week 10 a lot more interesting AND allows schools to schedule more interesting and local rivalries ( i.e. Keyser, Musselman, Martinsburg) without worrying about 1 loss totally destroying any chance of a chance at the playoffs. In the end, there is only 1 trophy that matters which is the state championship. It has to be better than what we currently have!
Do you not think that teams will start scheduling for seeding. BTW, Keyser and other West Virginia schools are the ones dropping the area teams. The Maryland playoff system is not stopping Keyser from playing Fort Hill.

I like parts of the new proposal. I like 8 per region ( to accomodate for the better regions like the 1A West), and I like re-seeding at the final 8. This will give the teams that have loaded regions (2A West last year and this year, 1A West most years, etc) a chance to put two teams in the championship game if they can keep winning.

I don't even mind the open part as far as giving the other teams a 10th game. However I think that after the first round of the open bracket, that should be the end of that. This gives them the 10th game, and a game against what should be a compatible opponent but I don't see them playing 3 more games after that.

I believe this will be voted on at the next MPSSAA board of controls meeting. Should be interesting to say the least. Some coaches over here I have talked to like it, some do not.

Like I've said before, Maryland needs to go to top 16 overall or add an additional class (or two), or the schools with under like 500 students should drop 11 player football and go to 8 player football. The expanded regional playoff won't change anything. One of the Cumberland schools will always win 1A west no matter what regional format you put out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT