ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason thoughts and predictions

Harleydeuce

Junior Varsity Poster
Jul 26, 2013
Have never seen this forum this dead for so long. So what's everyone's thoughts on the upcoming season?
Alco should be the team to beat with everyone coming back and a very weak schedule. Hearing a lot of promising things out of FH about the young kids progress and coaching staff, however a brutal schedule could be a major challenge for this young and inexperienced team. Keyser will be big again and have some speed. Not sure about Mountian Ridge. Come on folks let the drama begin, we're letting downstate fans down with the entertainment factor we offer lol!

Since you asked......

Fort Hill should be the best team in the area, At least until someone in the area beats them. They have a lot of holes to fill but have the five or six best football players in the area. Braydon Brown will be the go to guy, he needs to get some touches this year. On the line, Fort Hill needs to replace the tackles and a center. The good news is that they have some size and the coaching to develop the kids. The schedule looks more challenging than it has in years. Clearfield will be a good early test for week one, Last year, against Keyser they jumped out early but their young team wore down. This year I don't expect them to wear out as they return most of their starters. Sherando will be tough, but South Hagerstown will be interesting. South has loaded up their schedule. If they come in against Fort Hill with a winning record, I'll consider them the best team on Fort Hill's schedule. I'm almost expecting to see Ohio State on SH's schedule. they didn't say no to anyone! But back to Fort Hill, I'd like to see them at 9-0 going into Homecoming but I wouldn't be shocked to see them at 6-3.

Alco returns almost everyone. I think that they had some seniors on the line but I'm also thinking that several underclassmen got some starts. The biggest hole that they need to fill will be Robinette, and I don't think that they can. Robinette was a flat out stud of a football player. He will be missed, and James Madison got a steal. Alco's schedule is not strong, but I'll say something about that later. They should be 9-0 going into Homecoming.

As far as Mountain Ridge is concerned, I feel that they need to go back to the bone. I know that Devore changed his offense to motivate his players but the truth is that the coaches can only teach what they know, and they know the "bone".

As far as the West Region goes, it's a little scary for Fort Hill. Southern, Northern, Hancock, and Clear Spring play extremely light schedules. They are looking to sneak into the playoffs no matter what. And they don't care if they get beaten by 60 in the first round, they just want to get in. North Carroll and Man Valley also play a schedule that pretty much guarantees 6-8 wins. Then throw in the fact that Boonsboro is now back in 1A and things might get tight as far as getting one of the four playoff spots. I'll predict that there will be a 7-3 team in the 1A west that won't make the playoffs this year.

That's all from me for now, anyone else?

Since you asked......

"Fort Hill should be the best team in the area...
As far as the West Region goes, it's a little scary for Fort Hill."

This may well be the year that FH wins homecoming and doesn't make the playoffs, making a well earned mockery of the system which has never been anything else but. Alco will never go into a season as the defacto best team since they have yet to prove they can win with the best players. The way they ended last year is the way they will start this year, moving the ball up and down the field but finding themselves short on points in too many games.

As a grad and a fan I suppose I am to add in how I wish for better. Nope. Will not do that. I'll just post what I think and let it be understood Alco grads are in a lifelong emotional recovery.[/QUOTE]

On paper at least, Alco has to be the favorite. Will their staff set aside the inner squabbles long enough to figure out a way to get past FH?

The cupboard won't be bare at FH, but they have a lot to replace and the schedule is certainly a challenge. I expect the winning steak to end, possibly as soon as the first week, but if they can get in the playoffs at 7-3 or even 6-4, look out. Who will be replacing McKinney as DC?

I believe McKenney will now remain on the staff in addition to another popular area coach rumored to be coming.

Last edited:
Fort Hill's line will be bigger (average size) this year than it has the past two years. Secondary should be taut with Powell, Brown, York, and Trimble in the mix. Running game will be fine. QB is a little undecided, Graves or Squires, I'm not sure yet. York at WR will be nice, if they throw.

My biggest concerns are the LBs and end. The Shives' vacated spots will be the biggest defensive holes on the team.

Honestly off of previous years you have to say that Fort Hill is the team until someone proves they can beat them. What I am hoping for them most this year is for area football to be more competitive. It isn't good for the area when Mountain Ridge and Allegany are down.

FHHSAHS, you know me. The bigger the line the better. I'd rather have the monster on the line who runs a 5.8 but can knock people off the ball, than the 190 pounder who looks good running down field but can't give his back three yards when needed. I think that FH has figured that out. Anyway, FH has the potential to be big on the line, we'll see how things pan out. I wouldn't be shocked to see two soph linebackers. FH also has a new kid on the block who can play DB. I don't know if he will help them on offense, but that corner spot may be locked down. I think that we'll see the Jr. win the qb spot he seems more athletic, The Sr. does have nice size and also looks like he can run the show.

I think that we know what to expect from Alco and most positions are locked in, but I'd like to hear something from someone who really knows what is going on over there. Nosey old fat guys like me would like to know.

FH will have a tough 4 game stretch to open the season where I wouldn't be shocked to see them sitting 2-2 after that stretch. A relatively weak senior class (compared to the last few years and the next few years) and having maybe up to 5 sophomores up on varsity playing will make for a tough start. Once they get some experience and past the usual early season shuffling of positions along with a slight break in the schedule I think they will be very good.

If FH is to be knocked off their throne it will have to be this year. Looking at a Jr QB (hope he gets the nod) along with 4-5 Soph or Jr players getting carries and playing big roles on defense.

It will be interesting to see how the FH faithful react if Red drops a number of the early games. There seems to be a bit of an air of great expectations by some. I see the loss of Barnes, Johnson and the Shives brothers alone dropping FH from a stellar team to a good team - and that is given that they have outstanding coaching. Last year's Alco Cornflaguration brought a hand-the-ball-over-inside-the-ten type team to homecoming. Yet, it is that same hard-hitting, Allegany team that is returning almost all of the same talent with additional players from a very good JV team.

Clearfield is a concern, but the other three don't jump out at me as being really good. (Keyser will be big and strong again this year but will lack speed and their passing game will not be a threat.) The other three games that I'm concerned about will be weeks 6, 7, and 8. Avalon and South will be coming into Cumberland with very good teams and will want to make a statement. Then Sherando will be the best team that Fort Hill will face. (ranked 6th in the State ) Throw Alco into the mix and I'd say that the second half of Fort Hill's schedule is much tougher than the first half.

Clearfield is a concern, but the other three don't jump out at me as being really good. (Keyser will be big and strong again this year but will lack speed and their passing game will not be a threat.) The other three games that I'm concerned about will be weeks 6, 7, and 8. Avalon and South will be coming into Cumberland with very good teams and will want to make a statement. Then Sherando will be the best team that Fort Hill will face. (ranked 6th in the State ) Throw Alco into the mix and I'd say that the second half of Fort Hill's schedule is much tougher than the first half.
Nice assessment. FH just needs to win the games they should win. I think I read that Keyser will return a huge line but only return one guy from last year that carried the ball. I can't see them pushing FH or Alco around this year. But looking at FHs schedule, I would certainly wish they played it with last year's team. I don't get loading the schedule on a rebuilding year unless this is all you can get - some big guns come to town and pretend they are playing last year's team.

The FH 2013 title team lost their entire line, QB, Darr at FB, an All-State LB and big time kicker. They ran the table again. I see the same type of team. The line is very deep and big. Guys will platoon and stay fresh. Brayden Brown will make folks forget about Ty Johnson. He got moved to halfback and guys like him spell the difference. No speed in this area can play with that type of speed. I look for FH to repeat as West region champs and win their 3rd straight state title. Just not indefeated. The 2016 team will be the best FH has ever fielded in 40 years. Good enough to play with any MIAA school in Maryland including Gilman and DeMatha.

Last edited:
WOW!!! I've made some bold predictions in the past but this one is beyond anything I've ever predicted. I hope you're right. (From what I've seen, that 2016 team will need some linemen.)

Even last year Johnson would not have made the team what it was all by himself. Okay, so now Brown will carry the ball. You don't have Barnes or the other bangers like the Shives. But hey, we all are homers. If you think Brown will make folks forget about Johnson, okay. Who will make us forget about Barnes. Where are your linebackers?

Reactions: towpath94
No one, but NO ONE will ever make me forget about Ty Johnson. For his playing, but also just his being a helluva good kid.

Having said that, I've know Brayden (Brown) since he was in 7th grade and the kid is about as naturally talented and athletic as they come. Whereas Ty had to work his ass off to get to that level, Brayden is built of a different makeup. He still works his ass off, don't get me wrong - but Ty's story was one of grit, determination, nose to the grindstone, being rewarded for what some people in this world would consider way too much dedication. I love that kind of story (who doesn't?)

But Brown is already faster than Ty, probably almost as strong, and pretty much a physical specimen. Think of it this way, if Ty's ride to college was his to go get...Brown's ride to college is his to lose.

And then there is another Braden (Poling) who may be the MOST naturally athletic kid I've ever seen. We'll talk about him when he is at least a junior. lol

Okay. I just want to understand. A Johnson type speed comes along in 1A every generation or so. So, now we have talent that is better. In fact we have two talented young players that will light up the chart. Cool. I will make it a point to come to the FH games to watch them. I hope that FH can repeat as champs. Nothing would please me more. I certainly enjoy the games with the FH band being there.... The atmosphere is so much better. Go Big Red.

Brayden Brown ran a 4.29 forty for head coach Butch Jones at the University of Tennessee camp this summer. He followed that up with a similar time at the WVU camp. Now those head coaches text him frequently. That is what the forty does whether people want to acknowledge its importance or not. Considering the fastest 40 time at the NFL Combine this year was 4.28 (WR J.J. Nelson - UAB) it's hard to believe Brown can run that type of time using a laser as they do at the Combine. A laser tends to be about .02 seconds slower because it stops the clock when the chest crosses over the line, not when the coaches estimation determines the stoppage. But that makes no matter, that is world class speed for a player that will only be a junior this fall. Brayden started both ways last year for FH as a soph. But I never felt he got his legs under him after being sick until the playoffs started. Which made his highlight reel short. Otherwise I think he would have been offered by one of those big D1 schools already. Having worked with many players in the area, I suspect Brayden will be an SEC type of recruit where he can name the college he wants to play for, which is extremely rare for anyone from this entire state. Looking forward to what's in store for Brayden's future. He actually very much reminds me of Ty Johnson in regards to his personality. Very humble, works his tail off, true team player...something rare and precious among gifted athletes these days. He is easy to like. He'll also move from split end to Ty's old position, but don't count him out of the passing game.

I would also keep an eye on the junior tight end Sibley. I was surprised someone that big could run so fast when we watched him at the Speed Clinic.

Brayden Polings highlight video speaks for itself. Watching it I can't believe he was only a frosh. Led the team with 122 tackles.
POLING RECRUITING PAGE: http://nationalchamps.net/recruiting/2018/FortHill/Poling/index.htm

ALLEGANY LOOKING GOOD!
Keep an eye on the Alco line of scrimmage this year. They have some really good players up front who are big and strong. Wilhelm might be the area's best along with Timmy Friend at FH. I'm hoping Imes at QB can step up and do the same positive things I saw him do on the JV team. That is the key to me for the Campers...his progression. In fact, QB has been the key at Alco the past 3-4 years and it just has not metabolized into what was needed. He has the talent to make it happen. Would love to see him help this team succeed. Also want to see King be a weapon carrying the rock. This young man is very quick. Has the physical tools, needs the senior confidence to kick in. And get used to continue hearing the Robinette name(s) called for a very long time.

Looks like a good year for Cumberland football in my book.

Last edited:
FH finishes 7-3 this year and 3-peats as 1a State champs. Regular season losses to Clearfield, Sherando and Alco. Sentinels beat Alco in West Region championship.

The loss of Barnes and the Shives twins will be the biggest losses this season. They were the hitmen, the players that let opposing teams know they had been abused. Barnes was a "war daddy!" that can't be taught or easily replaced. Either you have that toughness or you don't.

Sentinel fans are enjoying a rennisannce right now that we are not likely to ever see again. Back to Back titles and the legitimate possibility of a 3-peat in a "down year." FH has a real possibility of 2 more titles over the next 3 years. Enjoy this moment now Sentinel Nation, these are special times and very likely not to come again.

Even last year Johnson would not have made the team what it was all by himself. Okay, so now Brown will carry the ball. You don't have Barnes or the other bangers like the Shives. But hey, we all are homers. If you think Brown will make folks forget about Johnson, okay. Who will make us forget about Barnes. Where are your linebackers?

The 2 starting linebackers for FH will be the same 2 that started homecoming. One was the homecoming MVP the other led the team in tackles as a freshmen. Shives moved to the DL well before homecoming.

The 2 starting linebackers for FH will be the same 2 that started homecoming. One was the homecoming MVP the other led the team in tackles as a freshmen. Shives moved to the DL well before homecoming.

I've heard that the homecoming MVP may have been moved to safety to replace Barnes this year and that there is a good chance the starting LBers will both be sophomores.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT