ADVERTISEMENT

Head Injury Awareness (CNS vs PNS)

Nov 12, 2014
I was grateful to be invited to the Homecoming football game between Allegany and Fort Hill this past weekend and my wife and I were hosted in Cumberland by great, long-time friends. It was my second homecoming game I've attended and I was once again struck by the passion, energy, and excitement that swirls around this contest. Growing up playing high school football in an area much larger than Cumberland yet with crowds hovering around only 500 spectators on the warmest of Fall nights almost makes me jealous of what you have in your area.

With that being said, there was one possible issue with the game and aftermath that gave me concern and made me want to push some information out to parents, supporters, coaches and other protectors and facilitators of youth sports (yes, high school students are still youths) for general awareness.

I need to preface this by saying I am neither a neurologist nor doctor and I am NOT saying anything was done wrong during this contest. I have only mid-level (at best) head trauma training in both the military and civilian sectors. My concern only arose and lies with the conversations I had with people after the game and conversations the day following regarding the difference between a STINGER (or BURNER) and a CONCUSSION and the general lack of awareness of the difference between the two. The following information is mostly for those people I spoke with after the game who were confused about the difference and anyone who may have children in ANY youth sport involving contact (which is potentially ANY team sport) for their general awareness.

First, a STINGER is NOT a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and falls in a category completely separate from a CONCUSSION (TBI). In fact, a STINGER falls in the category of a PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEM (PNS) injury while a CONCUSSION (or TBI) falls under a CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM (CNS) injury. A STINGER also exhibits different symptoms than a CONCUSSION.

A STINGER is a nerve event involving the brachial plaxus, which is basically a bundle of nerves branching from the spinal cord. When this bundle is violently disturbed (or "pinched") the athlete generally feels a burn or sensation running down ONE UPPER extremity which also usually affects the mobility in that affected extremity. I'm sure most of you have watched a college or pro football game and seen a athlete walking or jogging off the field favoring one arm with that affected arm hanging limp to the athlete's side. Your first thought might be that the athlete has a shoulder or arm injury, when in fact what you're probably seeing is the effects of a STINGER. If your child reports tingling or a burning in MULTIPLE extremities then this event is potentially much more serious than a possible STINGER and a health professional should check the athlete for a potential spinal chord issue. Also, and almost most importantly, a STINGER is NOT an equilibrium event, meaning a STINGER does NOT affect your balance, nor does it exhibit symptoms involving issues with vision or confusion. If your child exhibits THESE symptoms, it is more than likely NOT a STINGER. Your child may not have a CONCUSSION, but he/she possibly has some type of CNS issue that is NOT a stinger and needs to be evaluated with that understanding. And YES, it is possible to have both a STINGER and CONCUSSION from the same traumatic event.

A CONCUSSION, unlike a STINGER, IS a CNS issue, falls under the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) category, and is a much greater concern than a STINGER. A CONCUSSION occurs when the brain itself is affected by such force that it displaces the cerebrospinal fluid which surrounds it and contacts the scull through a rapid acceleration or deceleration. And, also most importantly, while a STINGER involves tingling or burning in ONE UPPER extremity, CONCUSSION symptoms are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Symptoms of concussion include, but are not limited to, BALANCE PROBLEMS, CONFUSION, CHANGES IN ALERTNESS, HEADACHE, or VOMITING.

I hope this information assists parents and others involved with our children's athletics to maintain vigilance and be aware of the dangers of head injury. In the year 2014, with the emphasis of head injury awareness in all levels of sports competition, I believe we are doing our children a disservice by not knowing the difference between a stinger (PNS) or possible concussion (CNS).

If it makes anyone feel better, you are not alone if you have issues with the distinction between PNS and CNS injuries. You need to look no further than the San Diego Chargers handling of a Jahleel Addae injury on October 25 to see even those at the highest levels are still struggling with this issue:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/25/chargers-now-admit-jahleel-addae-had-a-concussion/

Thanx for the information. I didn't know this and I'm sure a lot of other people on this board didn't.

That seems strange that those at the NFL are still confused by this. I guess the best experiemce one can have is to have had both occur to you. I have had several concussions that resulted in vomiting and flu like symptoms. They were bad effected me for days. I have also played in games at various levels where I had repeated white flashes during the game from hits. I knew suffered a concussion but was able to continue and the next day was fine. I had only two stingers that I can remember and they hurt tremendously, one in high school and o e in college. I thought my arm at the shoulder was ripped off first time and the second it felt like the worst Charley horse you could imagine. I took a helmet to the neck when making a tackle and the second was from throwing a block. The burn went to my fingertips and lasted a couple of minutes. I thought I was seriously hurt but 10 minutes later it felt like nothing happened in both occasions and was fine.

At the NFL level players arw bigger and faster so maybe when a player suffers a stinger they are also more likely to suffer a concussion so further precautions are taken.

This post was edited on 11/13 10:19 AM by LinemenWinGames

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT