4. No fear at throwing the short pass
5. Backs have to block

Mountain Ridge Five Keys
1. Defense eliminate big running plays
2. Own the line of scrimmage
3. Keep offensive balance (run/pass)
4. Stand out red zone defense
5. Get Uma free

All of the keys for FH are offensive. The defense has been the calling card all year, even in the first game at Frostburg. In the first meeting however, the Miners defense dominated the line of scrimmage with extreme penetration in the middle that kept FH from being able to pull their guards and do their wing-T thing. Against Old Mill, Mountain Ridge and Allegany at Homecoming, Fort Hill could not run between the tackles. With a newly established fullback and a reset blocking philosophy they have been much more successful since the playoffs started. But that was against very inferior defenses. And Mountain Ridge is going to crowd the box again with no safety - daring FH to beat them throwing.

The numbers were well documented in the first meeting...11 penalties and 3 turnovers for Fort Hill. That won't work plain and simple.

While FH was able to rack up offensive yards throwing the ball the last time they failed to address the 20-yard cushion Miner defensive backs were giving receivers. All year FH has operated using a deep passing route tree, little to no use for a short passing game. It killed FH in the Miner Stadium red zone when the run was stuffed. If they can't throw quick hits and quick slants their offensive production will remain inconsistent. This is really asking Fort Hill to do something they have not done all season. Don't count on it unless the Miners jump out to a significant lead.

Also in the last meeting, if the FH running back did not get the ball they checked out and just watched the play while their man was making a tackle. It's imperative they support each other and block as if their lives depended on it...many times the difference between an 8-yard gain and a TD run. No big running plays last time for FH. Need those extra blocks.

Mountain Ridge won the line of scrimmage last time, period. Created some holes to spring open running backs, gave the QB time and defensively took away everything between the tackles while also stuffing the big play. If they can continue to do this they win by two scores or more.

The Miner offense wasn't exactly lights out the last time, but was able to take advantage of two key fumbles for touchdowns with key plays and some passing success. They were efficient, they had success running and throwing and moving the chains. Their red zone offense was miles ahead of FH. Getting Uma's legs more involved in the offense would be a big addition this time around. He's the star, be the star.

If FH can't score, FH can't win. The Miner red zone defense last time was so impressive. There was no chance FH was going to run the ball into the end zone. That's the same formula to use.

Aside from winning the line of scrimmage and mistake statistics, Mountain Ridge had two huge advantages last time around.
1. Mental Approach
2. Coaching Preparedness and Game Plan

The Miners wanted the game more. It was their Super Bowl. They played like a team that had lost 17 times in a row fighting, punching and kicking every snap. FH thought they were 21 points better before the opening kickoff. The red team cannot enter the Naval Academy with this mindset again. Second, Mountain Ridge had a game plan the last time. A scheme, a better scouted approach, a better way of being prepared. FH thought they could just show up and do what they do. That game plan won't work. FH is now the underdog who has to punch and kick every Super Bowl snap. FH is now the team that needs a few wrinkles and adjustments just for this one game. At the same time, anticipate the Miners having their own wrinkles and twists again.

CalPreps has Mountain Ridge favored by one point. Based on what I saw in person the last time I would make the Miners a 14 point favorite on this neutral field. Not sure the FH offensive line has what it takes to put points on the board by running the football against this stacked box - which is what FH has made their livelihood on against inferior opponents. Since the last time they met the Sentinels have almost completely abandoned the passing game. In all four playoff games Fort Hill has thrown the ball a mere 5 times. That equals 1.25 passes per game. They will live and die trying to run the ball. If they cannot, it will be a long drive home. The Miners have enough offensive balance and such a stand out ability to force FH from being able to hand the ball off and run across the goal line you have to like the Miners chances given their multi-dimensional approach. But the FH defense is more than stout enough to turn that table. This defense has only given up 6 points in the postseason. They will need one last stellar defensive performance to pull in another state title.

If the turnovers and penalties are even this one could turn out to be epic. If games are won and lost up front, Mountain Ridge is better - at least from the October film I am watching.

Mountain Ridge 24 Fort Hill 13

Last edited:
Nicely written, Todd. The only other thing I saw when watching the earlier matchup was MR running the ball down FH's throat. I do agree with you that if FH doesn't pass, they will likely lose. Short passes loosen up defenses. The more you can do it with even a small amount of success the more you for the opposing team to adjust. This leaves the pound-it-up the middle FH loves so much.

The wing-t alone will not beat MR. If FH runs it every play, they lose - but by a bigger margin.

And, you're so right about playing like a team. If these kids really want this championship they'll play like a team and block for each other without hesitation.

Reactions: ravemwp
Excellent article as always.
Don’t get me started on Fort Hills lack of a short passing game. This has got to be one of the best teams ever for creating 1 on 1 scenarios in open space. For the life of me I will never understand why they do not run more screens, slant patterns and quick throws to the receiver at the sideline. I know the argument would be that it’s been a great season, but the title game is in serious doubt without it.

Number 3 makes a huge difference and maybe this is wishful thinking but Fort hill pride and tradition will not let the offensive and defensive line get dominated like that again.
It’s a battle of 2 great defenses

FORT Hill 21 to 14

Last edited:
Nicely written, Todd. The only other thing I saw when watching the earlier matchup was MR running the ball down FH's throat. I do agree with you that if FH doesn't pass, they will likely lose. Short passes loosen up defenses. The more you can do it with even a small amount of success the more you for the opposing team to adjust. This leaves the pound-it-up the middle FH loves so much.

The wing-t alone will not beat MR. If FH runs it every play, they lose - but by a bigger margin.

And, you're so right about playing like a team. If these kids really want this championship they'll play like a team and block for each other without hesitation.
Running the ball down FH's throat...I didn't see that.

Outside of a Mtn Ridge 77 yard TD run with 1:03 left in the game against the FH subs the Miners put together 112 yards rushing. Uma had 12 carries for 34 yards. Lee had 16 carries for 136 yards which included the 77 yard mop up TD.

Total yardage ended up: FH 395 Mtn Ridge 262

Last edited:
Besides the obvious that has all been stated above, if it is a close game we're forgetting about all the little things that in a normal year FH would excel at, but this year is not that year. Will we miss an extra point, yes. Will we miss a field goal, probably. Will we let kickoffs and punts hit the ground, for sure. Will we have a snap over the punters head, good chance. All of these things can turn a game around or at the least stop any momentum you may have. Again, all these intangibles are things FH has been so good at in the past that it seems strange all these areas have caused problems this year.

Agreed. They must play with passion, and more importantly for each other. Although I don't remember MR running the ball down FH throat. FH played very well on defense. Take away that 77 yd garbage time run FH out gained MR two to one. FH turnovers gave MR short fields. I remember driving home asking myself, how did MR score 30 points, I couldn't think of anything they did on offense that really stood out, with the exception of protecting the football. Which was big. MR is now the hunted, a different mindset then being the hunter. We will see how they respond.

In game one Willis, and Allen were non factors on offense. It's an absolute must that the FH coaching staff get them involved early, and often. Something I think the coaching staff failed to do with no in game adjustments.

My Five Keys to the game for both teams:

Fort Hill Five Keys
1. Fewer penalties and turnovers
2. Need much better interior offensive line play
3. Run between the tackles - establish a fullback
4. No fear at throwing the short pass
5. Backs have to block

Mountain Ridge Five Keys
1. Defense eliminate big running plays
2. Own the line of scrimmage
3. Keep offensive balance (run/pass)
4. Stand out red zone defense
5. Get Uma free

All of the keys for FH are offensive. The defense has been the calling card all year, even in the first game at Frostburg. In the first meeting however, the Miners defense dominated the line of scrimmage with extreme penetration in the middle that kept FH from being able to pull their guards and do their wing-T thing. Against Old Mill, Mountain Ridge and Allegany at Homecoming, Fort Hill could not run between the tackles. With a newly established fullback and a reset blocking philosophy they have been much more successful since the playoffs started. But that was against very inferior defenses. And Mountain Ridge is going to crowd the box again with no safety - daring FH to beat them throwing.

The numbers were well documented in the first meeting...11 penalties and 3 turnovers for Fort Hill. That won't work plain and simple.

While FH was able to rack up offensive yards throwing the ball the last time they failed to address the 20-yard cushion Miner defensive backs were giving receivers. All year FH has operated using a deep passing route tree, little to no use for a short passing game. It killed FH in the Miner Stadium red zone when the run was stuffed. If they can't throw quick hits and quick slants their offensive production will remain inconsistent. This is really asking Fort Hill to do something they have not done all season. Don't count on it unless the Miners jump out to a significant lead.

Also in the last meeting, if the FH running back did not get the ball they checked out and just watched the play while their man was making a tackle. It's imperative they support each other and block as if their lives depended on it...many times the difference between an 8-yard gain and a TD run. No big running plays last time for FH. Need those extra blocks.

Mountain Ridge won the line of scrimmage last time, period. Created some holes to spring open running backs, gave the QB time and defensively took away everything between the tackles while also stuffing the big play. If they can continue to do this they win by two scores or more.

The Miner offense wasn't exactly lights out the last time, but was able to take advantage of two key fumbles for touchdowns with key plays and some passing success. They were efficient, they had success running and throwing and moving the chains. Their red zone offense was miles ahead of FH. Getting Uma's legs more involved in the offense would be a big addition this time around. He's the star, be the star.

If FH can't score, FH can't win. The Miner red zone defense last time was so impressive. There was no chance FH was going to run the ball into the end zone. That's the same formula to use.

Aside from winning the line of scrimmage and mistake statistics, Mountain Ridge had two huge advantages last time around.
1. Mental Approach
2. Coaching Preparedness and Game Plan

The Miners wanted the game more. It was their Super Bowl. They played like a team that had lost 17 times in a row fighting, punching and kicking every snap. FH thought they were 21 points better before the opening kickoff. The red team cannot enter the Naval Academy with this mindset again. Second, Mountain Ridge had a game plan the last time. A scheme, a better scouted approach, a better way of being prepared. FH thought they could just show up and do what they do. That game plan won't work. FH is now the underdog who has to punch and kick every Super Bowl snap. FH is now the team that needs a few wrinkles and adjustments just for this one game. At the same time, anticipate the Miners having their own wrinkles and twists again.

CalPreps has Mountain Ridge favored by one point. Based on what I saw in person the last time I would make the Miners a 14 point favorite on this neutral field. Not sure the FH offensive line has what it takes to put points on the board by running the football against this stacked box - which is what FH has made their livelihood on against inferior opponents. Since the last time they met the Sentinels have almost completely abandoned the passing game. In all four playoff games Fort Hill has thrown the ball a mere 5 times. That equals 1.25 passes per game. They will live and die trying to run the ball. If they cannot, it will be a long drive home. The Miners have enough offensive balance and such a stand out ability to force FH from being able to hand the ball off and run across the goal line you have to like the Miners chances given their multi-dimensional approach. But the FH defense is more than stout enough to turn that table. This defense has only given up 6 points in the postseason. They will need one last stellar defensive performance to pull in another state title.

If the turnovers and penalties are even this one could turn out to be epic. If games are won and lost up front, Mountain Ridge is better - at least from the October film I am watching.

Mountain Ridge 24 Fort Hill 13
FH BY 2 TDS

Reactions: Dwj21
Running the ball down FH's throat...I didn't see that.

Outside of a Mtn Ridge 77 yard TD run with 1:03 left in the game against the FH subs the Miners put together 112 yards rushing. Uma had 12 carries for 34 yards. Lee had 16 carries for 136 yards which included the 77 yard mop up TD.

Total yardage ended up: FH 395 Mtn Ridge 262
Wow. I remembered that game all wrong. Watching it a second time, MR was lucky to win. FH needs to hold onto the ball. I didn't think I drank that much that night.

Reactions: Dwj21 and ravemwp
Wow. I remembered that game all wrong. Watching it a second time, MR was lucky to win. FH needs to hold onto the ball. I didn't think I drank that much that night.
Mtn Ridge was not lucky to win that first meeting. They absolutely out played FH.

FH mustered 4 first downs. The jest of their yardage was in the 2nd half with long passing plays against a Miner defense with no safety. Mtn Ridge was good enough to stuff the run and smart enough to take their chances letting FH beat them throwing the ball.

FH got inside the red zone I think 4 times and only came away with 6 points. The Sentinels were tossing 21 yard passes into the end zone with no success.

Reactions: Tony54
Mtn Ridge was not lucky to win that first meeting. They absolutely out played FH.

FH mustered 4 first downs. The jest of their yardage was in the 2nd half with long passing plays against a Miner defense with no safety. Mtn Ridge was good enough to stuff the run and smart enough to take their chances letting FH beat them throwing the ball.

FH got inside the red zone I think 4 times and only came away with 6 points. The Sentinels were tossing 21 yard passes into the end zone with no success.
But FH turned the ball over so many times, missed tackles, and just weren't playing with any kind of intensity. If they play with intensity, they are at least a two TD favorite. You have to remember, FH is a big-play team. When they made the big plays they lost the ball.

I would never discredit MR victory. Anyone who saw the game would have to agree that MR came in with a game plan and executed it flawlessly. Credit them. On the other hand, those same people would have to agree that FH did not play a particularly good game. I don't have any film or replay so I'm going by memory, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. 1st half FH missed a very makeable FG, threw an interception, and failed to field a punt that rolled to the 2 yard line. Not even including the penalties, and missed tackle that lead to a MR td. The halftime score was MR 6-0. Stayed that way until late in the 3rd quarter when everyone except the ball carrier stopped playing thinking he stepped out of bounds. Turned a short gain into a big play. Two lost fumbles, and multiple penalties on big plays later, including 2 kickoff returns to near or over midfield called back. At 17-8 midway through the 4th quarter FH was still very much in the game. My feeling is that the missed 2 point attempt pretty much ended the game. I felt whatever hope FH had ended there. Taking all the pressure off of MR. Kicking the extra point making the score 17-9 with 6 minutes to go squarely puts the pressure on MR. Something they are not accustomed too. It allows you to play the final 6 minutes differently. MR really didn't move the ball all that well all night against FH. Would have loved to see FH get the ball back with 3-4 minutes to play needing a td and 2 pointer to tie. My thoughts are that FH would have responded to that pressure better than MR. Of course none of this matters on Saturday. The team that executes, and leaves not only the physical mistakes, but the mental mistakes as well at home will win. The 30-8 final was not indicative how close this game really was. Anyway thats the way I remember it. I hope for a clean non-contraversal ending. May the better team win. Coaches and players, no brain farts please. That last comment goes for the officiating as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT